UltravioletPhotography

My first IR photos from 50 years ago

lonesome_dave

In the summer of 1972 I saw an article in Petersen's Photographic magazine about infrared photography that got me interested (see last pic). I needed a 35MM camera to use the available film so I found a used Yashica 35GS for about $50. It was a rangefinder camera and so well-suited for photography with an opaque filter. I couldn't afford a glass IR filter so I bought a couple of Kodak gelatin filters for infrared which cost about $3 each. It was 50 years ago this month (Aug 1972) that I shot the first roll so I thought I would post a few photos from it. These were taken in the Midwestern US where I grew up.

1972-08_1_(IR87).jpg.8afd98ad6dad2f9ebef133df92aa6ef9.jpg

1972-08_2_(IR87).jpg.af86f93f201b0898313bf32937eebb9c.jpg

1972-08_3_(IR87).jpg.8a9e806cd830fd442419b131483f4f4a.jpg

As you can see the images are vignetted because of my rather large filter stack/sandwich. I used the UV and Skylight 1A filters that came with the camera to make a sandwich to hold the cut gelatin #87 filter. It was roughly equivalent to an IR720 or IR760 modern filter.

The film was Kodak High Speed Infrared which required total darkness to load and process. I processed this myself in D-76 developer because I couldn't trust the photo labs to handle it properly.

HSI_spectrum.jpg.b56088e37d17b11f02e612272a50d79f.jpg

Kodak High Speed Infrared Spectral Response (Taken from Kodak publication P-9, 1970)

Combining the spectral sensitivity of the film with my #87 filter probably gives an approximate capture spectrum of 750-920nm.

Fifty years later I still have that magazine and what's left of the Kodak Gelatin filters I cut up.

Mag_Filters.jpg.a291bddb0a0c67b53b5289b166cff7ee.jpg

Petersen's Photographic Jun 1972, High Speed Infrared Film specsheet & Kodak IR Gelatin filters.

After this first roll of film I was completely sold on IR photography and kept with it off and on for the next 50 years. About 10 years ago I discovered how easy digital infrared photography was (compared to film) and got interested all over again.

Next month is my 50th anniversary of shooting color infrared and I'll post a few of those then.

I love the third photo with the rich vegetation with the clouds, it looks surreal.

Also nice to learn about analog IR photo development. Congratz on 50 years of dedication! Looking forward to your color photos.

Yes, those photos came out fantastic. Nice to hear about the old days. My intro to IR was by converting an iphone 4 in 2012. We have others on the forum who have been doing IR and UV since the film days, however. 

Ah, the [in]famous Kodak Highspeed Infrared ... I briefly used that film too, but much preferred colour infrared.

Seen in hindsight, both kinds of infrared films instilled a really false perception of what infrared was. The colour infrared by responding only 1/3 IR and 2/3 visible, the b/w film by having no anti-halation layer and thus making those blooming highlights (plus heavy grain, blocked shadows and what have you).  Digital learnt us otherwise, fortunately.

awesome! I loved that film! I took a photo of an film canister and discovered the black felt KOdak used was white/transparent in IR. I also found out that certain brans of bulk film canisters had felt that stayed black in IR.   NO longer had to load film in the dark. Called KOdak and told them, they didnt' seem to care. Even bought a 70mm back, but unfortunately never got to use it, couldn't afford the medium format camera at the time.

Those are some great pics! I couldn't imagine being in this hobby back then, also how my people were into it compared to today.

So I'm guessing, daytime IR photography only? As I don't know when IR illuminators started becoming available to the public, or were they already available.

Brings back fond memories from my analog film days. No internet and no digital back then, so everything was hand processed and displayed as prints or 35mm projections on walls with trusty Kodak Ektagraphic slide projectors.

Incandescent light bulbs are fantastic IR illuminators. That’s why they are so energy inefficient, half the light is not visible to humans. 

Today there are "infrared" films only BW

I bought some Rollei IR, it is recommended to use at most a dark red filter, not a R720 which is similar to your Wratten 87 ~ 740 nm

Only the old Kodak made this oniric - dreamlike film that saw up to 800nm

25129094_Wratten87.jpg.f470e4cdcff44e1cf22e089f76813295.jpg

I have enjoyed seeing these film IR photos. They have a soft glow-y appearance we don't usually get with digital IR unless we apply some action. 

I hope you enjoy UVP! We will be looking forward to seeing some of your newest work. 😀