UltravioletPhotography

Anybody knows about any company that custom-make flashlights?

lukaszgryglicki

lukaszgryglicki

I see that it is impossible to find something that I want to buy (excluding aliexpress but they always have exactly what you need and cheap, the problem is that I don't believe them at all).

I'm also not a tech guy so I cannot do this myself, but I;m wondering if there is any company or individual that can create a flashlight for me.

I would like to install array of 16 UV-C diodes (4x4) in some already existing flashlight just to have an shortwave UV flashlight (this includes all additional details like aluminium reflector, quartz lens/glass and power supply).

Any ideas where can I start searching for somebody who can custom make such a thing? Or maybe somebody from this forum can do this and want to earn money?

I'm considering 255/265/275 up to 310 nm LEDs - I would just pickup ones that have most UV output power (not input power) and ieally below 280 nm (310 is probably a separate story), for anything above 320-330 nm I already have my greatest firend - sun - I need nothing more.

You can’t just replace LEDs in an existing torch because the required voltage depends on wavelength of the output, and if you put too little voltage across the LED nothing comes out, and if you put too much it will burn out. As I said in the other thread, current and light output depend exponentially on voltage, so even changes of a few millivolts will have noticeable effects on brightness. (That is why it amplifies temperature fluctuations.) 

It is possible that torches may have a variable resistor one can adjust to change the set voltage but I have not checked — if anyone finds something like that it would be handy.

lukaszgryglicki

I know that power supply must betweaked for that, I'm also saying that I'm not an expert and can't do it myself. This is why I'm asking if anybody knows a company or individual that/who can custom make it for me. The final device should have some kind of "voltage stabilizer" or whatever it is called in English.

This one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334325246592?hash=item4dd7566a80:g:TT4AAOSwW0dibEtI&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPgPSFq5HsVMZE2zagElr1wxmG%2BeNyrtgwwAxijzVDDaODTIBOBw9D0wvqQgOP52nazQ7mK%2FAKEmyV2ZSanNDsteP201LCgCOAI6djVTZ0EWOBVsDJMVPTJ%2Fni5f%2FERtO5Juo2DcPRgBla73%2BFOO0m9BWP%2FpjnyT5bglQfy27%2FyisjSwsj%2FeQrB12tBrEqE%2FPqJFp8ViYW%2FYKTVSkyliSvs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6ab2Y_cYA - is not battery powered.

And if I google "portable uvc light" I'm indeed finiding a lot (I did that before) but only handheld "disinfection" devices of unknown power, and I want something as close as possible to a standard flashlights and I need to now its exact UV-C radiant power - that must be in 10W or so, not, say 60-70mW as 3W diode gives (which is in reality 2.5W input and 0.07 W max output).

lukaszgryglicki

Thanks, already asked several googled flashlight related companies, will give this one a try too.

1 hour ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

This one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334325246592?hash=item4dd7566a80:g:TT4AAOSwW0dibEtI&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPgPSFq5HsVMZE2zagElr1wxmG%2BeNyrtgwwAxijzVDDaODTIBOBw9D0wvqQgOP52nazQ7mK%2FAKEmyV2ZSanNDsteP201LCgCOAI6djVTZ0EWOBVsDJMVPTJ%2Fni5f%2FERtO5Juo2DcPRgBla73%2BFOO0m9BWP%2FpjnyT5bglQfy27%2FyisjSwsj%2FeQrB12tBrEqE%2FPqJFp8ViYW%2FYKTVSkyliSvs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6ab2Y_cYA - is not battery powered.

And if I google "portable uvc light" I'm indeed finiding a lot (I did that before) but only handheld "disinfection" devices of unknown power, and I want something as close as possible to a standard flashlights and I need to now its exact UV-C radiant power -  

ebay ad specfically states it can use 4 C batteries!

what will you be using this for? a "standard flashlight" is kind of vague which is why i aks

you can also just buy an AC powered one and run it off a small 18v power tool inverter like this:
RYOBI 150-Watt Power Source for ONE+ 18V Battery (Tool Only) RYi150BG - The Home Depot

lukaszgryglicki

Sorry overlook this "4 alkaline "C" cells (1.5 volts)" in addition to 110V. Ok then.

Need to figure out what is the "real" UV-C radiant power output, description only says that 3W but for example:

Single 3W LED 254nm - only output about 70 mW of "radiant UV-C output" - this is so tiny (this one seems to use some bulb,low pressure mercury bulb?)

I want to have output "radiant power" in watts, no small fraction of watt. This is why I wanted an array of diodes not just one.

But I can't even ask because when I click "contact seller" I see:

"We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

Unfortunately this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

they have a phone number call them or google the specs also works, probabaly faster too.

lukaszgryglicki

I want to use it as a light source. That's it.

The last one (Hot Efficient Uv Ultraviolet Light Disinfection Uvc Led Personal Sterilizer) looks good, almost ideal, the only "problem" is that this is aliexpres. I will search for a similar one elsewhere, thanks.

I really saw many mamny proiducts from China, but I just skip them when I search, I don't trust them - they seem to offer whatever you want, while nobody else offer this which makes me think they just cheat all the time, many topic on this forum seem to prove this.

But if that "Hot Efficient Uv Ultraviolet Light Disinfection Uvc Led Personal Sterilizer" would really do what they say for < $800 (I of course don't know its UV-C output radiant power) it would just feet my needs and I would buy it and stop here. Look like it __can be__ quite powerful and can be used to direct UV-C on the target (even with 90 degrees cone its still OK) and I can use it for 40 minutes on batteries.

2 hours ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

The last one (Hot Efficient Uv Ultraviolet Light Disinfection Uvc Led Personal Sterilizer) looks good, almost ideal, the only "problem" is that this is aliexpres. I will search for a similar one elsewhere, thanks.

I really saw many mamny proiducts from China, but I just skip them when I search, I don't trust them - they seem to offer whatever you want, while nobody else offer this which makes me think they just cheat all the time, many topic on this forum seem to prove this.

But if that "Hot Efficient Uv Ultraviolet Light Disinfection Uvc Led Personal Sterilizer" would really do what they say for < $800 (I of course don't know its UV-C output radiant power) it would just feet my needs and I would buy it and stop here. Look like it __can be__ quite powerful and can be used to direct UV-C on the target (even with 90 degrees cone its still OK) and I can use it for 40 minutes on batteries.

they have very good buyer protection in my experience the buyer always wins in a complaint process.  I'm not aware of any USA made UV LEDS. hardly anyone has done uvc photography due ot needing a quartz lens and these dangerous light sources. what lens, camera combination are you using?

of course, but for what subjects? small macro photography or wildlife or what, different size light needed for different subjects right?

lukaszgryglicki

what lens, camera combination are you using

Lens: UV-Nikkor 105/4.5

Camera: Nikon D600 mono full spectrum & Fuji GFX 50R full spectrum, debayered with quartz sensor cover glass.

Rather small macro photography, I don't even dream on anything UV-C able to do something big...

I'm also struggling hard with UV-C filters...

lukaszgryglicki
1 hour ago, JMC said:

Are you tied to using LED? UVP make some portable lights based on fluorescent tubes - https://www.uvp.com/products/ultraviolet-products/uv-handlamps/uvp-portable-uv-lamps/

The 254nm one would give you a strong portable UVC source, but would be predominantly 254nm (not other UVC bands).

I see 6W power - this is input right? I will try to get info about output and price...

But if that "Hot Efficient Uv Ultraviolet Light Disinfection Uvc Led Personal Sterilizer" would really do what they say for < $800

(I of course don't know its UV-C output radiant power)

it would just feet my needs and I would buy it and stop here. Look like it __can be__ quite powerful and can be used to direct UV-C on the target (even with 90 degrees cone its still OK) and I can use it for 40 minutes on batteries.

The radiant power can be calculated from point 2 and 3 in the spec.

4 x 4cm = 16cm2

16 x 100mW/cm2 = 1600mW = 1.6W

For an input power of 50W that is reasonable, giving a conversion efficiency for the LEDs of 3.2%

That is in the typical range for UV-C LEDs. I do not believe in projected new efficiency values for such LEDs in this type of product.

There might be cutting edge components with better efficiency, but then they would cost much more and nor fit the cost frame for this lamp with 25 individual LEDs.

I guess that it has a fan cooling system to get rid of almost 50W.

lukaszgryglicki

Right, I actually calculated something similar and foudn that 50W is (as usual) input power, not output.. just wanted to confirm it. This isn't that much, I'm still trying to find something more powerful - possibly using low pressure mercury bulb internally instead of LEDs - I really want something that has radiant UV-C power at least, say, 4-5W, closer to 10W would be perfect. Low pressure Hg lams have (I've read - correct me) 30% efficiency? So I woudl need one with at least 35-40W and also some kind of reflector that will make it possible to direct its light in a cone not everywhere.

@JMC I've asked them for a quote specifying my needs:

Hi, I'm searching for portable UV-C light source and a friend recommended your product "Portable six-watt UV lamp".
I see its specification says 6 watts, is this UV-C output radiant power 6 watts (in 254nm light)? Or input power?
I need this for very non-typical application, so I have to maximize UV-C light output.
I need light source for macro photography under UV-C light, just to confirm that I'm able to do this, I have:
- Custom modified Fuji GFX 50R camera (converted to full spectrum, removed sensor IR/UV cut glass and replaced with quartz one passing from 180 nm), removed color filter array (Bayer RGGB matrix), so there is only naked sensor covered by quartz glass.
- UV-Nikkor lens 105/4.5 that is able to pas slight from 200nm to 900nm.
- I'm struggling on getting UV-C pass only filters, but your devcie will only emit 254nm or 365nm (monochrome) so thsi problem is ruled out.

I wanted to order (if it is powerful enough) the device, batteries & protection googles in one package.
can you please sned me a quote?

I see 6W power - this is input right? I will try to get info about output and price...

I believe 6W is the input power. Keep an eye out on ebay as well as they do come up for sale every now and then. 

lukaszgryglicki

6W input would be too low with LEDs but might be OK with low pressure Hg - it uses "bulbs" so I assume LPHg -> this woudl give around 1.8W radiant power .... anyway, asked them for this.

lukaszgryglicki

The longer I search the more I think I'll end up with E27 low pressure Hg bulb + some kind of cone-shape reflector that would allow me to direct it at whatevr I want. Than I just need some portable power supply for this - bulb will probably need 110-230V AC so I will just need some device that will allow me to provide this power supply for up to 1 hours or even 30 minutes... with bulbs I guess I can find something that outputs 20W or even more without such great issues as with LEDs.

As a separate idea, anybody knows some portable handheld device where I can put just a normal E27 lightbulb and that allows directing light by some kind of metal/aluminium  cone? I would just use this replacing normal lightbuld with low pressure Hg bulb.... even thinking about old desk lamp that uses standard bulbs with aluminum conical shade + then I'll add some portable power supply...