UltravioletPhotography

UV lens design software

Stefano

As I have already mentioned, I would like to design a UV lens (at least try). I wrote a refraction simulator in MATLAB that only simulates a glass "rectangle" (of infinite length), and writing a lens simulator myself would be too difficult, and Andy adviced me to use software that has already been written. UVP member diant mentioned Zemax, but getting it looks a bit complicated (it looks like it is more company-oriented). Also, I would like a software that legally allows you to use it for personal purposes (I won't sell lenses, but someone here may do it, and sometimes you cannot use software for that goal depending on the license you have). I know that building a lens is not easy, but I'm looking for decent sharpness at apertures of f/5.6 or f/8, I know I probably cannot do better. A lens with similar sharpness as my SvBony focal reducer but without the field curvature would already be nice, for example.

What are your suggestions?

@Stefano,

You need to find a software that either has built in databases of commercially available elements, or can add databases from Thor Labs, or your favorite element suppliers. 

I would recommend asking the company you intend to buy elements from, what software they recommend to use with their catalog. 

Its easy to design a pie in the sky lens with any element number, coating and shape.  But good luck paying for a company to manufacture those elements. 

It would be much cheaper to buy a couple of UV 105mm Nikkors.

Thorlabs does have a Zemax catalog: 

https://www.thorlabs.com/software_pages/ViewSoftwarePage.cfm?Code=Zemax

Slightly off topic,  but found this interesting design from an optics talk:

94934228_Screenshot_20220821-170727_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.6eae3d943ec44a004b2b4820ce62413a.jpg

An alternative is to look also at the Nikon 105mm uv lens patent and Bills optical bench of the Nikon, and try to copy it with commercially available elements. 

@Stefano,

I have made some fused silica lenses, which are ok.

I tried to make a frensil pmma lens, but it was really soft, and very delicate.  Easy to dirty and damage. 

I am now thinking about designing a mirror lens. There are many possible arrangements to work out, but the transmission profile is very nice. Like this, but I wouldn't go for tis cost:

https://www.edmundoptics.com/p/25mm-diameter-deep-uv-enhanced-mirror/8814/

how will you make the body of the lens? 3d resin printing might work. you might also be able to print a small holder to keep the elements together and fit the entire group into a macro lens.  If you are looking for high quality it will cost a ton do it yourself method.   I would think it woudl be cheaper to just buy a UV 105mm lens for $3500 usd used. one's on ebay now. 

40 minutes ago, KhanhDam said:

how will you make the body of the lens? 3d resin printing might work. you might also be able to print a small holder to keep the elements together and fit the entire group into a macro lens.  If you are looking for high quality it will cost a ton do it yourself method.   I would think it woudl be cheaper to just buy a UV 105mm lens for $3500 usd used. one's on ebay now. 

Glass lens assembly isn't too hard depending on your camera mount.

For m43rds you can buy a thin m43rds mount to M42, add a M42 helicoid,  then mount elements in rings and space them as needed. Add a 52mm front filter and your done.

I glued most of my elements into 5mm C-mount rings for easy mounting and spacing,  as they are 25mm in diameter. 

M42 aperture control rings aren't too expensive, either. 

It is fun to fiddle around with separate lens elements and rediscover all known problems designing a usable lens.

I did so with a few fused silica planoconvex quality lenses.

However AFAIK combining several lens elements is more critical. You must get distance, tilt and optical axises really well aligned.

Here is a pre-mounted doublet that might be used in a lens build when combined with an iris, a helicoid and a lens mount:

https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=ACA254-100-UV

A clear aperture of 18mm will make a lens speed to be almost f/5.0 not far from the f/4.5 of the UV-Nikkor

Save from the pleasure of creating something yourself I think it would be much better to save money to get the real thing.

Over the last five years I have hoarded interesting lenses for money that could have paid for more than one UV-Nikkor at a bargain price like $3500.

1 minute ago, ulf said:

It is fun to fiddle around with separate lens elements and rediscover all known problems designing a usable lens.

I did so with a few fused silica planoconvex quality lenses.

However AFAIK combining several lens elements is more critical. You must get distance, tilt and optical axises really well aligned.

Here is a pre-mounted doublet that might be used in a lens build when combined with an iris, a helicoid and a lens mount:

https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=ACA254-100-UV

A clear aperture of 18mm will make a lens speed to be almost f/5.0 not far from the f/4.5 of the UV-Nikkor

Save from the pleasure of creating something yourself I think it would be much better to save money to get the real thing.

Over the last five years I have hoarded interesting lenses for money that could have paid for more than one UV-Nikkor at a bargain price like $3500.

Heh, we were talking in DM and I sent him the same Thorlabs lens, Ulf. 

Thank you all. I want to begin by making a simple lens, starting from two elements. Something like a double Gauss design, but with two fused silica meniscus lenses, to see what comes out.

lukaszgryglicki

Will probably be quite soft, I think the minimum to be usable and actually good is 4 elements.