UltravioletPhotography

G8T5E UVB

lukaszgryglicki

lukaszgryglicki

Well the price as gone up. I got mine for under $20 a couple years ago.

The wattage is a little weird. G8t5e,  stands for germacidal bulb that is 8Watts and has a T5 pin layout at the end. The E means its coated with a coating to change the 254nm to 302nm. If its clear, it will just be a germacidal bulb at 254nm.

If genuine Ushio, those are good bulbs that last a long time.

The 1.6W, maybe measured as actual 302nm output.  But it will have most of the Mercury lines. 

There are some phosphor film around that change the clear UVC 254nm germicidal tubes to around 310nm & another to 365nm. 
Just like the phosphor in the tubes, but in a film, I would like to source some ?

enricosavazzi
19 hours ago, colinbm said:

There are some phosphor film around that change the clear UVC 254nm germicidal tubes to around 310nm & another to 365nm. 
Just like the phosphor in the tubes, but in a film, I would like to source some ?

Perhaps one or two years ago, I bought on eBay a set of two plastic sheets (30 by 77 mm) with this type of film, one marked "M", the other "L", short for medium wave and long wave.

I did not keep information on the seller (I remember he was US based). The ad was about fluorescent film for a rock/mineral fluorescence lamp, presumably excited by 254 nm Hg emission. I have not tested them, but plan to use them - eventually - as windows of a small lamp with UVC LEDs as excitation source.

10 minutes ago, enricosavazzi said:

Perhaps one or two years ago, I bought on eBay a set of two plastic sheets (30 by 77 mm) with this type of film, one marked "M", the other "L", short for medium wave and long wave.

I did not keep information on the seller (I remember he was US based). The ad was about fluorescent film for a rock/mineral fluorescence lamp, presumably excited by 254 nm Hg emission. I have not tested them, but plan to use them - eventually - as windows of a small lamp with UVC LEDs as excitation source.

Thanks Enrico
Yes I have these small pieces, looking for something larger.
They are probably made with the same phosphor as used inside Mercury vapour tube lamps, they convert the 254nm UVC to about 315nm UVB for the 'M' & about 367nm UVA for the 'L'.

I have scraped the phosphor from inside the UVA & UVB tubes, but I haven't had any success adhering it evenly onto any glass or film.