UltravioletPhotography

Clouds, near infrared, sped up 10x

Andy Perrin

I did a short video of clouds using the EL-Nikkor 105mm lens with a DB850 and Tiffen#12 stack. Hue rotated 45 degrees to make the sky blue, and contrast adjusted. Speed has been increased by a factor 10x relative to normal life.

I think that demon cloud is about to consume you Andy. You better watch out.

Would be interested to see it in SWIR or with a 980nm filter. I wonder if the darkness of water would be uniform through the cloud. 

Andy Perrin
4 hours ago, dabateman said:

I think that demon cloud is about to consume you Andy. You better watch out.

Would be interested to see it in SWIR or with a 980nm filter. I wonder if the darkness of water would be uniform through the cloud. 

I’m not even sure clouds would look very dark in SWIR. The droplets scatter light really well and they are very small. Even at the darkest peak at 1450nm, for very small droplets the absorption would be negligible while the scattering is high. So they should probably be at least light gray. I can check I guess 

5 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

I’m not even sure clouds would look very dark in SWIR. The droplets scatter light really well and they are very small. Even at the darkest peak at 1450nm, for very small droplets the absorption would be negligible while the scattering is high. So they should probably be at least light gray. I can check I guess 

Rain might look dark in the distance, you could try that.

Andy Perrin
3 hours ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

For me it looks like an explosion of smoke in slow-motion - great video!

This actually isn’t far off, physically, from what’s happening here. A parcel of warm air in the middle of the cloud is shooting upwards very fast due to buoyancy, causing the outer layers of the cloud to roll turbulently. The parcel in the center will continue to rise until the temperature of the parcels cools to match the temperature of the local atmosphere. This is also what happens in an explosion, where the explosives suddenly heat an air parcel and then the same process plays out.