UltravioletPhotography

Sensor shift resolution enhancement and UV?

Doug A

Tried a UV landscape today with the Pentax K-1 using the pixel shift resolution setting. This moves the sensor one pixel, four times, to capture full frames of rbg. Used my standard in camera UV custom WB. Instead of a normal UV picture it has a major yellow cast. Visible light photos using pixel shift have the same WB as standard. Any ideas why this occurs?

Haven't had time to open the Raw in Silkypix to see if it fixes things. There does't appear to be any way in camera to set a custom pixel shift WB. Guess I'll have to live with it.

Thanks,

Doug A

@nfoto The Raw thumbnail, in Silkypix, is yellow, just like camera review shows. When opened, it automatically corrects to the "proper" UV WB. So it will be possible to correct in editing. Must be a limitation in camera processing.

@FandyusApparently not. Silkypix automatically fixes the Raw. Tried converting from Raw to jpeg in camera. The camera fixes the problem. Weird. I'll have to live with major yellow/green tint in camera live view and review. 

It was very windy so it wasn't a good day to try pixel shift. I'll try again in calmer circumstances. Seems it will only be useful for UV landscape.  Too difficult too get 4 macros without movement and there's no way I'm firing the flashes 30 times per image.

Thanks for the help,

Doug ( come on spring) A 

You might set the camera to show monochrome instead -- gets rid of any annoying colour cast, and makes it easier to nail the exposure for UV.

3 hours ago, Doug A said:

@nfoto The Raw thumbnail, in Silkypix, is yellow, just like camera review shows. When opened, it automatically corrects to the "proper" UV WB. So it will be possible to correct in editing. Must be a limitation in camera processing.

@FandyusApparently not. Silkypix automatically fixes the Raw. Tried converting from Raw to jpeg in camera. The camera fixes the problem. Weird. I'll have to live with major yellow/green tint in camera live view and review. 

It was very windy so it wasn't a good day to try pixel shift. I'll try again in calmer circumstances. Seems it will only be useful for UV landscape.  Too difficult too get 4 macros without movement and there's no way I'm firing the flashes 30 times per image.

Thanks for the help,

Doug ( come on spring) A 

So does that mean there's no issue? If you can correct the white balance when you open the raw file...

Excellent idea @nfoto.

@Fandyus correct, there's no issue. Just a starange quirk. Even quirkier that the camera can actually fix the error it created. Need to try Pixel shift with IR. 

UVP founders have said many times we are using equipment way outside  design parameters. 

Thanks,

Doug A

13 hours ago, Doug A said:

Excellent idea @nfoto.

@Fandyus correct, there's no issue. Just a starange quirk. Even quirkier that the camera can actually fix the error it created. Need to try Pixel shift with IR. 

UVP founders have said many times we are using equipment way outside  design parameters. 

Thanks,

Doug A

No problem, have fun with your ultra high res shots.