UltravioletPhotography

Multispectal and multiband UV

It's always amazing what some filters and a little patience can do, once the camera is put on a sturdy tripod.

For this capture, I combined captures in UV, visible light, and IR, using the Nikon D200 and a very old 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor lens.

T09072904334_multibandUV_VIS_IR.jpg

I think the result was nice, but your mileage might vary.

The old Micro-Nikkor does not transmit deep into UV, but that hardly matters in this setup.

The scene should be familiar to Nordic people; comprising a tidal pool (Norwegian 'hellkar') on a glacially-scoured coastal rock face (Norwegian 'svaberg'). I believe the designations are quite similar in both Norwegian and Swedish languages, those two countries (+ Finland) where such rocks are common on the coastline.

It reminds me of some of the very first color images.

https://www.rferl.org/a/24928691.html

The images the was a composition of three glass plates exposed with three different filters in a quick sequence.

Amazing results for that time and level of development of the photo technology.

You can even get the "raw" files and process them yourself from here:

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/

10 hours ago, colinbm said:

I wonder what wavelength information is hiding in this image ?

Except for the water being much more reflective in UV (refer to pool surface), not much in terms of wavelength differentiation. Also, UV exposures were in the order of 30 seconds whilst the other contributions were exposed 1/40 to about 1/100 sec. The lens was set to f/16 and the photos taken late in the afternoon, hence the requirement for long exposures.

The waves were rolling in over the shallows off the coastline in a fairly regular manner, which tempted me in the first place to conduct this photographic experiment.