UltravioletPhotography

UV induced fluorescence tree Lichen with electronic flash

Pentax 645Z with Pentax 645 A 120 macro lens and Tiffen UV Haze 2A filter. First attempt using diy modified Pentax AF540FGZ full spectrum flash with 6mm of Tangsinuo ZWB1 UG11340nm glass covering flash tube.  F11 ISO400 21 seconds to allow 3 flash pops.

I tried this shot earlier without flash on a moonless night. Unfortunately, there are bright lights about 1/4 mile away and they diluted the purity of the yellow.  

I struggled processing this image. Difficult to decide how it should look . Any tips and comments are welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Doug A

645Z6754yellowlichenontreebarkUVIF.jpg

Thanks @colinbm.  Nothing.  Just 6mm (3 plates of glass) ZWB1. Thought that would do it. Should I have some kind of IR blocker as well? Guess I could rob the BG39 from the full spectrum camera lens.

Thanks for looking,

Doug A

Yep, definitely need to cut IR from the flash. I bet that’s what diluted the purity of the yellow a bit. It looks good though!

Honestly most BG glasses (even cheap ones) would probably work to get in the ballpark of normal color. Fluorescence colors don’t have any way to white balance that isn’t ridiculously expensive so there is no sense spending much for this application. Fluorescence in general is easier than UV reflected photography. Nobody knows what the colors “should” look like, so there is a lot of flexibility. The main reason to block IR from the flash is that it might be washing out the colors a bit. 

If you have just one more Zwb1 2mm filter,  than that will block all the IR coming out of your flash, without hurting the UV output too much.

Or you could go with BG39 and much less Zwb1,  if its weighing down the flash head too much.

Yes I like this lichen. I have a couple of spots of it on my front trees too. Its in a sea of the other stuff. So hitting it with a 365nm flashlight is fun to make it really pop out. Even in daylight.  A 385nm light doesn't work as well. 

@Adrian Couldn't leave equipment out all night, so this was taken the next day. The composition isn't exact. Whole areas of the tree look like this. There are only a few decent size yellow patches. Don't know if the yellow is related to the rest.

Thanks for looking,

Doug A

645Z6594Lichenontreedaylight.jpg

Thanks everyone.

@colinbm this Pentax is stock, not converted. I will investigate IR blocking for the flash. 

@Andy Perrinand @dabatemanTangsinuo seems to have more rectangular ZWB choices than BG. The flash head will be fine so I'll reorder what I have.

Thanks,

Doug A

Ps@dabateman looking forward to seeing pics of your Lichens.

• 3 weeks later...