UltravioletPhotography

DxO Photo Lab 5 - not for reflected UV conversions.

Andrea B.

DxO Photo Lab 5 will not correctly white balance all my raw UV files. It does OK with some Nikon D610 raw NEFs made using the BaaderU UV-pass filter, but won't correctly handle those D610 files made with a U330 + S8612 stack (UV + Blue + Green) or the StraightEdge UV-pass filter, red version. Photo Lab 5 cannot correctly white balance my Panasonic S1R UV files at all, not even those made with the BaaderU.

For the record in this short report, there is only a very simple White Balance tool -- a dropper which can range in size from 1-50 pixels diameter. The temperature slider ranges from 2000 to 50000. The Tint slider from -50 to +50 along the usual green/magenta axis. (The 50000 temperature setting is unusual. It is for aquatic images.) Usually a temp of 2000 with a negative tint is sufficient for white balancing UV images, but not in this app.)

There are otherwise some very good photo editing tools in DxO Photo Lab 5. For example, there is very nice Local Adjustments palette which incorporates the old Nik Control Points along with some improvements and additions. And DxO Photo Lab is widely known for its capability with "ordinary" visual images for which the camera and lens information is known in order to apply corrections for various lens distortions and aberrations.

This is one I purchased and still playing with.  It has a profile for the Sigma 19mm f2.8 lens and the Olympus Em5mk2,  which I have been using a lot for a bunch of stuff.

For UVB White balance correction,  I typically need 20000. So I will have to see how it does for some of my older images.