UltravioletPhotography

Anyone use Clip Filters?

Doug A

Thinking about sending the Pentax K1 full frame in for full spectrum conversion. Later I would purchase a second one for vis work. Ran across this clip in filter. This turns a converted camera back to "stock". Love this idea. Carry one body an do all types of photography. Anyone ever use one?

Astronomik L-2 UV-IR Block Clip-Filter Pentax K-1

excl. VAT (Non-EU): €116.81

incl. VAT (EU): €139.00

Thanks,

Doug A

Side Note: Such filters whether used as a clip-in or on a lens make a full-spectrum camera conversion almost stock but not quite. You might need careful white balancing and maybe even a new color correction profile to bring the visible colors back to where they should be. (I just did a test with some filters to show this.)

The Astronomik UV/IR-Cut, for example, has very squared transmission shoulders and so is much like the Baader UV/IR Cut which passes a bit too much red and thus does not restore proper visible colors to a full spec conversion unless a new color correction profile is made using it.

Can you use clip-in filters on a mirrored camera? or just on a mirrorless?

Yes you can use clip in filters on any camera designed for it. Technically Sigma was the first with clip in filter as a dust blocker on SD10. That needed a screwdriver to remove, but the SD14 "easily " pops in and out. In quotes as the super thin filter easily shatters.

Canon camera might have been the next DSLR with designed clip in filters, due to them being commonly used for Astrophotography.

The thing to watch out for with a clip in filter is its thickness. When you add glass behind a lens, you change its optical properties. This can effect the ability to focus some wide angle lenses.

Then a clip in that is too thin, is easily shattered. So care must be taken.

Extra dust could be a problem, but sensors aren't that difficult to clean. Unless it is something sticky like pollen. Sticky can be very tough to deal with.

Didn't realize the filter wouldn't return a converted camera back to standard. Thought they would use the same glass the camera manufacturer did. Not big on doing lots of color profiling. Doubt it would ever match the original camera.

They make a clip filter especially for the K1 DSLR. So it must work with a mirrored camera. But, it is starting to sound finicky.

Believe a rear mounted filter moves the focus point 1/3 the thickness of the filter. This is one reason why lenses with built in filters must always be used with one. The filter is part of the optics.

There's probably no getting around having a dedicated full time full spectrum camera. The one that died was $250 and a no brainer. I didn't think, just reacted. I've looked at Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic, but have so many Pentax lenses and accessories. They can be adapted to mirrorless, but won't work as easily. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks everyone,

Doug A

I've considered using a clip-in filter for my Canon EOS 6D, but haven't gotten around to it. The temptation being, of course, the ability of using any lens, even the bulky ones, where the ordinary filters won't work. If you clip in one filter and use it all day long without changing it in the field, I wouldn't expect too much dust.

However, if you want to do comparison shots of the same scene with several clip-in filters, then I'd rather not do it this way, but use a lens which can take the different filters.

One reason of my not trying this is the fact that the 6D is a good-old-mirrorslapper, and one has to be more careful than with a mirrorless camera. And like dabateman wrote, one has to be careful of the optical path as well.

I started with clip in filters for my EOS 60D.

I used them just a few times, but when I started with different filter stacks at the front of my lenses it was not practical anymore.

They have not been in use for more than three years now, and I expect they never will be use by me again.

I have been too lazy to sell them.

If anyone is interested, please message me.

I have

Astronomik OWB-CCD type 3

https://www.astronom...cd-typ-iii.html

ProPlanet 642 BP IR pass filter

https://www.astronom...net-ir-642.html

ProPlanet 807 Clip-Filter EOS APS-C

https://www.astronom...net-ir-807.html

• 2 years later...

I want to use them for Sony A7s, too bad I cannot find full spectrum window and no clip-in frames alone too sold.