UltravioletPhotography

UV protection goggles

Doug A

Just ordered two Nemo UV flashlights. Purchased a cheap pair of UV protection goggles. The only model available in my small town. Wouldn't mind buying a better set. Any brand /model recommendations? Is there an easy way to test the current goggles?

Thanks,

Doug A

I too like the Uvex glasses. You can also find them on Amazon if you need them sooner than October, as Cadmium's link said currently unavailable until then.

To test your current set is easy.

Setup your camera outside in the bright sunlight and focus on a subject, with your igoriginal 35mm lens and the filter set it came with. Was that a 2mm Zwb1 and 2mm BG39 filter?

Take an image of your subject, and make note of the exposure settings.

Now keep the exact same exposure settings but hold your goggles infront of the lens. Look to see if you see anything.

Now, hopefully you need to dial in much longer exposure time, at least 5 stops and see if you can get an image.

If you don't need to increase the exposure time, then those goggles offer zero protection. The amount of stops increased to get the same image is your protection.

If your lucky its all black and your camera can't give you an image. Then you will have a great set of goggles.

Otherwise you will know you might also want to close your eyes most of the time or use remotely triggered lights.

Never look at the Nemo flashlight, even when wearing great googles. The eye damage isn't worth it.

Thank you Cadmium, microbat, and dabateman. I was a little bummed by the October delivery date in the link provided. I'll try Amazon.

My ioriginal filters are a little different. The ZWB1 is 2mm, but the BG39 is 2.3mmm. Do thickness numbers add? If two ZWB1 2mm filters are screwed together does that equal one ZWB1 4mm filter?

I will try the goggle test. The current goggles are clear, not amber.

Thanks,

Doug A

My ioriginal filters are a little different. The ZWB1 is 2mm, but the BG39 is 2.3mm. Do thickness numbers add? If two ZWB1 2mm filters are screwed together does that equal one ZWB1 4mm filter?

Except for some added reflection losses the same thickness numbers will the same attenuation.

Two ZWB1 2mm filters screwed together almost equal one ZWB1 4mm filter.

The surface losses depend on the difference of refractive index in materials (Air 1.0, glass ca 1.5)

For each passage there is some light reflected away.

I made an experiment to show the difference by replacing air with glycerine between three stacked ZWB1, 3mm.

https://www.ultravio...dpost__p__48053

I tried to emulate a 9mm thick ZWB1.

Glycerine do not have identical refractive index as glass, but it is much closer.

The air-spaced stack had six air-glass transitions.

The glycerine-spaced inner four transitions in the gaps between the filters improved the total transmission

However the improvement from a practical point of view is not that big if you count the gained shorter exposure time.

If you want to read more about this: https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/4109-idea-for-temporary-optical-coupling-liquid/page__hl__glycerine__fromsearch__1

It is quite OK to stack a few filters.

Thank you Cadmium, microbat, and dabateman. I was a little bummed by the October delivery date in the link provided. I'll try Amazon.

My ioriginal filters are a little different. The ZWB1 is 2mm, but the BG39 is 2.3mmm. Do thickness numbers add? If two ZWB1 2mm filters are screwed together does that equal one ZWB1 4mm filter?

I will try the goggle test. The current goggles are clear, not amber.

Thanks,

Doug A

I have tried and tested the clear versions of the Amber ones shown on the same page, and they do not work well for blocking UV, I might think they would, but they don't. Even the darker orange versions have a slight 370/380nm leak, so I would stick with the Amber ones.

https://www.fullsour...om/uvex-s0290x/

Some brands of clear goggles will block UV, but it would be best to test any UV safety eye wear that one uses without just trusting that they will work for that.

I think I need to make a list of Current Best Recommendations. :grin:

Thank you Andrea B. The eye protection recommendations are especially important for newbies. Reading this site made it clear we have to be careful, but I've yet to run across exactly what to get. I'm not willing to go blind for my art :). The lenses, cameras and filters can be learned slowly. Eye protection has to be ready from the get go.

Thanks,

Doug A

I think I need to make a list of Current Best Recommendations. :grin:

I see the new beginner thread has started. Thank you again Andrea B.

Thanks,

Doug A