UltravioletPhotography

Sony selling the new SWIR sensor IMX990

dabateman

I have a feeling this Sony sensor is a triwave. That quantum efficiency of 80% at 400nm, I highly doubt drops to zero at 399nm.

Based on the scale you could probably push it out to at least 350nm. It bothers me when they don't include scales down to 200nm. That would be the next unit tick down. But its probably not good at or below 250nm, which people consider UV today. Which is silly. At lot of useful information is gained imaging at 320nm into UVB.

Andy Perrin
Dabateman, it’s not a TriWave but the technology looks similar. The TriWave used Germanium on silicon, while this one uses InP and InGaAs on silicon in a similar way. The TriWave people also did not advertise UV capability but my testing of the camera shows it works fine in UVA.

Yes sorry Andy, thank you for the clarification.

I was loosely using the term triwave, to mean that this sensor should work for UV/vis/SWIR.

The QE of the Sony looks amazing.

• 1 year later...
Andy Perrin
Great, when can I buy one? For how much? Until it's at that point, big *shrug* from me. (So many of these things never seem to make it into any kind of affordable product, definitely including the TriWave.) Sometimes the best that can be said for new sensors is that they make the previous generation that much more affordable.
Price is the greatest obstacle in these cases. I bet it costs thousands of dollars. One day, we could find one on eBay at an affordable price.
Andy Perrin

Yes, this is what I mean. If it's $15,000 I don't care because I will never have that kind of money. I mean, there are plenty of cameras now with specs that are fantastic, but I can't afford them, so...

Pretty much the upper limit for what I'm willing to spend for a camera is $4000. Beyond that it's all fantasy.

• 1 month later...