UltravioletPhotography

Is it possible to tell if a lens has cemented elements from a diagram?

Doug A

A lens diagram shows number of elements, shape, and grouping. Can we tell if any of the elements are cemented together? Here is a diagram of Olympus OM film 80mm F4 macro lens from their dealer binder.

Thanks, 

Doug A

IMGP4200Olympus80macrolensdiagrarm.jpg

From my experience in any optical diagram if two adjacent lenses share a single line then they are cemented, and part of a group. Which means those reflective surfaces have been eliminated. 

Whether it is any good for UV is a different story.

What is interesting is that it is symmetrical, which is similar to enlarging lens types, where the front and rear groups are the same size. So it is probably good for flat field photography.

Also, you won’t find many double gauss format taking lenses in the 80mm focal length. This really looks like an enlarging lens marketed for macro. 

Th OM macro line was designed as lens heads used on a bespoke slide-out all metal extension ring. You could use them on a bellows too, of course. I own the 20/2 and 38/2.8, which both should be attached directly to the camera on a special short extension tube (14mm). On the slide-out ring they reach 4.75 and 9.3X magnification, respectively. The device has a very clever twist-lock feature thus you simply rack it out to the the desired magnification with a given lens, then lock everything by a slight twist. With the 135mm lens head, infinity focus is attained and the near limit is for 1:3. For the 80mm OM, you start at approx. 1:2 and end just a smidge beyond life-size 1:1.

These lenses range from just average to good in quality, and whatever they might lack in image quality they make for with robust build and versatility for hard field use. The one I favour the most is the 38/2.8, which is my normal "go-to" lens for 1.4-2X in the field.

I kept the Olympus OM mount on the lens heads and the slide-out extension, but have a dedicated version of the 14mm ring with OM in front and F mount in the rear. Plus CPU to help me later understand what lens and settings I have used.