UltravioletPhotography

Considering Fujifilm GFX 50R - but will use it with Nikon-F lenses

lukaszgryglicki

lukaszgryglicki

Hi I'm considering buying a mirrorless camera. I could buy Nikon Z - it has 55mm mount but no medium format cameras yet.

There is Fujifilm GFX 50R which uses 44x33 mm sensor (medium format digital, crop factor 0.8).

I decided a long long (many year back) that I will buy mirrorless only when medium format one is affordable, well GFX 50R is.

Now since I have tons of Nikkor lenses, I've found that there is a Nikon-F -> GFX adapter that can even auto-focus! https://www.ebay.pl/itm/352867669954?hash=item52288d57c2:g:hmIAAOSwHWBgdBD8

Now I have 2 questions, maybe somebody already tried this:

1) Will this make a photo using full 44x33mm without cropping to FF 36x24? (asking because 44x33mm is not that bigger than 36x24mm so I want to use full sensor and I'm accepting very very heavy vingetting from lenses not designed to cover 44x33 (but image circle from 36x24 is at least about 43mm - so it should cover 44x33mm sensor's width at least, also all depends on lens and aperture). Also all my EL Nikkors (75/4, 80/5.6 and 105/5.6) make a bigger image circle than FF.

2) Will auto focus work only on AF-S lenses (I only have one) or also on AF-D (screw) lenses (have a lot) or even maybe with Ai(-s) (just like TC-16A)? I'm OK if that works with AF-S and AF-D. If I put TC-16A over that conversion, it will probably autofocus Ai lenses too?

Anybody know answer?

If (1) is not force cropping to FF and (2) AF-D lenses will auto focus then I will look for GFX 50R and send it directly to maxmax for full spectrum conversion...

lukaszgryglicki

But weren't cropped right? UV-specific is not a problem.... speaking about UV - are Fuji cameras able to white balance in UV - or only post processing like Nikons?

They didn’t look cropped. I could tell the images were pushing the boundaries of the lens image circle with more coma and some vignetting. There is probably a list somewhere of 35mm lenses that can be upsized with good to excellent results. Some were Leica. Some were projector lenses. 

lukaszgryglicki

OK so (1) is good, I wonder now about (2) (autofocusing adapter for Nikon-F - I really have a ton of lenses and if any of my Nikon lens is AF - then its is AF-D not AF-S <excluding DX kit lens> - I also don't have any AF-S G (gelded) lenses <excluding DX kit lens>).

(3) possibility of white balance in UV in camera (vs. in post-process) is almost totally unimportant.

@lukaszgryglicki I have the same sensor in my Pentax 645Z DSLR. A glorious sensor.

There are lots of adapted 35mm lens comments in the Dpreview medium format forum. From memory, some perform amazingly well. Many are marginal. Wide and ultra wides have the biggest problems.

AF - looking at the adapter I'd say screw thread is out. There's no cam shaft visible on the adapter's camera mount. Even with the lenses it will AF, it is not comparable to AF cameras with native lenses. Might be good enough for landscapes.

There are people on the Dpreview medium format forum with modified for IR Fujifilm cameras. Haven't noticed any UV. The IR images are beautiful. Good luck.

Thanks,

Doug A

48 minutes ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

Hi I'm considering buying a mirrorless camera. I could buy Nikon Z - it has 55mm mount but no medium format cameras yet.

There is Fujifilm GFX 50R which uses 44x33 mm sensor (medium format digital, crop factor 0.8).

I decided a long long (many year back) that I will buy mirrorless only when medium format one is affordable, well GFX 50R is.

Now since I have tons of Nikkor lenses, I've found that there is a Nikon-F -> GFX adapter that can even auto-focus! https://www.ebay.pl/itm/352867669954?hash=item52288d57c2:g:hmIAAOSwHWBgdBD8

Now I have 2 questions, maybe somebody already tried this:

1) Will this make a photo using full 44x33mm without cropping to FF 36x24? (asking because 44x33mm is not that bigger than 36x24mm so I want to use full sensor and I'm accepting very very heavy vingetting from lenses not designed to cover 44x33 (but image circle from 36x24 is at least about 43mm - so it should cover 44x33mm sensor's width at least, also all depends on lens and aperture). Also all my EL Nikkors (75/4, 80/5.6 and 105/5.6) make a bigger image circle than FF.

2) Will auto focus work only on AF-S lenses (I only have one) or also on AF-D (screw) lenses (have a lot) or even maybe with Ai(-s) (just like TC-16A)? I'm OK if that works with AF-S and AF-D. If I put TC-16A over that conversion, it will probably autofocus Ai lenses too?

Anybody know answer?

If (1) is not force cropping to FF and (2) AF-D lenses will auto focus then I will look for GFX 50R and send it directly to maxmax for full spectrum conversion...

if you want to use VIS with that "precious" adapter and AF lenses ... fine!

join this Flickr group, there are many examples.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/gfx-adapted-lenses/pool/

I believe that no good UV lens works in Autofocus with GFX 50S - 50R - 100 - 100S - & the new 50S ii
I recommend a Z5 and the adapter (Megadap ETZ-11) which makes all Leica lenses autofocus and with various rings even the old manual nikkor, & Ø M42

lukaszgryglicki

OK, I see AF (screw) lenses won't work (after digging a bit), (un)fortunately I don't have AF-S lenses (excluding one) - I hate motors in lenses. I also don't have Nikkor G lenses (gelded/no aperture rings), so I guess I'll not buy it now - almost no lens will work flawlesly and I don't want to buy a new set of GFX lenses.

I'll wait, maybe Nikon releases something medium format with Z mount? Mount is 55mm, diagonal of 44x33mm sensor is 55mm - coincidence?

Thanks for all help!

lukaszgryglicki

Yeah, I would need to use native lenses... FTZ nikon adapter also doesn't work with AF(-D) lenses - they become manual too - LOL - just found it.

Nikon - the king of compatibility and now such a s***h***it. So there is only TC-16A even on Z body with AF-D lenses I guess :-(

2 hours ago, Blazer0ne said:

That group is invite only. Can you list a few top submitters so we can view their albums?  

www.flickr.com/photos/hog/48090693798

Phil Sharp often uses Zeiss Otus 85 and 55mm f 1.4

2 hours ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

Yeah, I would need to use native lenses... FTZ nikon adapter also doesn't work with AF(-D) lenses - they become manual too - LOL - just found it.

Nikon - the king of compatibility and now such a s***h***it. So there is only TC-16A even on Z body with AF-D lenses I guess :-(

No the AF16A needs a screw drive to work. So not going to AF on any current adapter. 

You can buy a Canon 40mm STM lens,  thats good for UV and adapt it to Nikon Z, L-mount,  GFX mount, E-mount, ceven Canon R-mount and get autofocus. 

lukaszgryglicki

Hmmm I will have TC-16A converted soon - see how it works with >55% of all my lenses (MF) on all my Nikon bodies: D3, Df, D600 fs, D600 fs bw, D3200, F4, FA, and a few more...

Yes I have a converted TC-16A and its awesome on my DF with my favorite Loawa 12mm f2.8 lens. It allows for some great very close up shots.

• 6 months later...
lukaszgryglicki

Bought 50R on Monday while being in USA at the conference - it is expected to arrive to my hotel today or tomorrow. Bought with 50/3.5 pancake lens.

dabateman

Should be a fun camera. I did get a used nearly new 50S, for super cheap.

The stock sensor is very nice and the 50S can see to 370nm but 6 to 8 stops less than my full spectrum converted Em5mk2.  Its also sensitive to just past 700nm, but not 800nm. So with long exposure times you can do UV and IR with a stock camera on a tripod. 

The Nikon 60mm f2.8 Af-d lens fully covers the sensor. 

@lukaszgryglicki it is a camera that fascinated me since it was born ... but I didn't buy it even if it costs like the Z7 ...

the reason is that it works well automatically only with Canon lenses, and not with my PC-E Nikkor.
If you have no vision problems, with a cheap manual ring it works very well with many Nikkor lenses, and a captivating mood

lukaszgryglicki

Will see, it just arrived and here in the US at the conference I only have 50/3.5 lens - but I already love its EVF.

lukaszgryglicki

Some first few photos - I'm learning that new body....

GFX 50R, 50/3.5 GF lens.

Straight from the camera - just resized to 25% and JPG quality set to 80%.

"convert $f -geometry 25% -quality 80% small_$f"

I will not convert it yet - I'm amazed on how colors are rendered around magic-hour (sunset) and they look like HDR even when they are just point-and-shoot snaphots.

smallDSCF0040.JPG

smallDSCF0045.JPG

smallDSCF0049.JPG

smallDSCF0051.JPG

smallDSCF0052.JPG

smallDSCF0057.JPG

smallDSCF0060.JPG

smallDSCF0067.JPG