UltravioletPhotography

New IR Style: Purple & Gold

Christoph

Every now and then you come across something special when experimenting with different filters and lenses. For example, this: golden yellow and purple trees. It almost looks as if a gold dust has blown over the landscape. I like it. Very much, in fact.

Straight out of the camera, the vegetation is more reddish. With a change in the red channel, the reddish becomes a bluish purple. The post-processing is minimal. But beware: this does not work with every lens.

I used my full-spectrum Nikon D700, the standard 50mm lens (Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D) and the unique X1 filter from Hoya.

In Photoshop I changed the values in the channel mixer at red as follows:

Red: +50
Green: +120
Blue: -50

purplegold1.jpg

purplegold2.jpg

Ha! Good thought, Colin! I'll go back later and take a photo with visible light. All I know is that fir trees tend to turn golden and deciduous trees purple. But there are also differences in deciduous trees and especially flowers too.... Will post that! :-)

4 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Ha! Good thought, Colin! I'll go back later and take a photo with visible light. All I know is that fir trees tend to turn golden and deciduous trees purple. But there are also differences in deciduous trees and especially flowers too.... Will post that! :-)

Thank you, it could be useful information.

That's cool, Christoph. I love seeing IR false-color experiments.

I like the 3rd one posted. It has a bit more saturation of the purple and gold. But that is just an initial reaction. Sometimes we have to wait and see more, yes?

Now I have to go look to see what is that X1 filter by Hoya.😀

This is neat. Are the trees green where you are or turning colors (in visible haha)? Here in Massachusetts we don’t need filters to see colored trees right now!

Yes, the trees change color here, mostly so at this time. Sometimes more, sometimes less... This is certainly the reason for the most blatant color changes in the images. However, I took the following picture in the summer also with X1. This is SOOC above and with the channel mixer change below. The differences between the deciduous tree on the left and the fir tree in front are striking. 

purplegold1.jpg

purplegold2.jpg

Very nice, my favorite is the second.
I only tried the light green filter I have.
I used it for black and white films, for landscapes
your X1 is a dark green ?! works best with a full spectrum.
I would like to see the original file of the second photo

Yes, the X1 is dark green. There are X1s from different manufacturers, but only the Hoya works as it should. I can not attach or send you the original unfortunately, because I formatted the card yesterday. But I can photograph the scene again as soon as the sun shines again :-)

And it also depends on the lens (and probably the camera). The effect works e.g. with the 50mm, but not with the 28-80mm zoom... So I don't know how replicable it is with other cameras.

I'm looking for a dark green filter,

but I think the important thing for your recipe is the development of Raw

it's like this photo I took with the 25A red filter, the only one out of twenty that I like the color.

_DSC6211-.jpg.0d2c768e31acf9b09c631e2b57b0d8aa.jpg

The style is oddly reminiscent of the look of RBG visible (a.k.a. "Lomochrome") images. Ironically, the latter were loosely inspired by Aerochrome!

On 10/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, photoni said:

I'm looking for a dark green filter,

but I think the important thing for your recipe is the development of Raw

it's like this photo I took with the 25A red filter, the only one out of twenty that I like the color.

_DSC6211-.jpg.0d2c768e31acf9b09c631e2b57b0d8aa.jpg

Not just any dark green filter, but Hoya X1. I also tried Wratten X1 and various from Lee - did not work. 

The processing is minimal. Only White Balance, then the values in the channel mixer.

23 hours ago, OlDoinyo said:

The style is oddly reminiscent of the look of RBG visible (a.k.a. "Lomochrome") images. Ironically, the latter were loosely inspired by Aerochrome!

And the X1 in turn is also perfect for Aerochrome emulations (together with Orange)... Lomochrome purple is similar, but gives green sky. SOOC it seems impossible to have Purple/blue vegetation AND blue sky.