UltravioletPhotography

Any experience with Olympus 35mm OM macro lenses for UV?

Doug A

Getting ready to acquire a Nikon El-Nikkor 80mm F5.6 lens for UV. It would be easier to use on the bellows than the El-Nikkor 135 I already own. Then I thought about the Olympus 80mm I already own? It is just the optic head and fits either bellows or telescopic auto tubes. Anyone try this lens for UV?

Thanks,

Doug A

Not tried the OM 80 lens head  as I don't own one, but I have on occasion done UV with the shorter siblings 35mm f/2.8 OM macro and 28/3.5 OM shift. Both can peek slightly into UV as would be expected from their age and simpler coatings.

28/3.5 OM, Baader U (with stacking for the dandelions, by the way)

I2018051635132.jpg

(BUG filter)

T1608190492.jpg

The 35/2.8 OM on the other hand  is a pure "macro" lens and thus operates from approx. 1.5X upwards to 5-6X on added extension. Below: corolla of Melampyrum pratense (now  placed in the Orobanchaceae if memory serves me well), 2X, Baader U and SB-140 flash.

I1408052135.jpg

Olympus lenses from the OM era were quite well built and the optics tend to be above average in terms of image quality. The company emphasised a small form factor for their lenses and that can adversely impact the handling of them.

I recall some topics about Oly lenses good for UV. Please search on that.

(Sorry I don't have time just at the moment!!!)

Great images @nfoto. Particularly like the dandelion field and bug filter photos. Good to know some 35mm Olympus OM lenses are decent for UV. I have a bunch to test.

@Andrea thanks I will search for it. Olympus doesn't make it simple since they use OM for some digital and film.

I tried the OM 80mm on a "dandelion" with flash. It shows the black bull's-eye pattern. So now I have to figure out if it is a match for an EL-Nikkor. It is sharp. 

Thanks,

Doug A