UltravioletPhotography

[UVC SAFETY WARNING] Safer UVC, Excimer 222nm Lamp, with Filter.

colinbm

[UV SAFETY] UV-C Light Is Dangerous

NEVER look at a UV-C light.

NEVER let UV-C light hit your skin or eyes directly or by reflection.

UV-C light can cause:

• severe burns of the eyes and the skin, and
  • DNA damage from broken chromosomes.

When working with UV-C illumination, you MUST:

• cover up completely, 
  • wear head & eye protection, and
  • have strong ventilation.

I have investigated & invested in a Safer UVC, Excimer 222nm Lamp, with Filter.
The filter is essentially clear but blocks the nasty UVC of 254nm up to around 300nm, but unfortunately has a leak from 300nm into near IR, peaking at 450nm.
First photo is of the gear.

Second photo is the output from 250nm to 850nm.
Third photo shows the blocking of the dangerous UVC 250-300nm.

1082680224_20211013Excimer222nmlampballastfilter.jpg.f6a56e06f27580b43bff7fd8bcaddd03.jpg20211013Excimer222nm-Ref.png.5e89c00adac2b0c2e929259697df086d.png20211013Excimer222nm_with254nm_cut_filt-Ref.png.60728295587b417c4f5002c2f602bbdb.png

Does the clear glass filter still give you the short wavelength glow on mineral rocks ?

As in get your best rock.

1. Shine your old 254nm lamp on it to take a reference image.

2. Shine the 222nm light for image.

3. Shine 222nm light with clear filter for final safer image.

I would just want to make sure that filter is a filter and not a piece of Bk7 glass.

Is fluoresces the minerals, I just haven't taken any shots yet, as I need to make a lamp holder that keeps the 2.5KV away from me.
The filter is just blocking most of the 254-300nm & allowing the minerals to fluoresce.

I'll post some pictures when the box is made.

Thats great, at least. 

There aren't any short pass UV filters I know of.  So you are kind of stuck with that 450nm bump. I can see the light manufacturers wanting that though,  because than you know its on.

Try your Zwb3 or Ug5 glass in front of the clear filter.

That might cut down the visible. But looking at the Ug5 data its 17% at 450 and only 7% at 220nm, but still worth testing it.

It won't cut the IR though. 

It is getting hard for me to measure down there as my spectrometer only goes to 250nm.
The ZWB3 has less at the 450nm leak, but I don't know how much of the 222nm is getting through, but none is showing above 250nm.
BUT a UVC test card is lighting up 🙂
AND the fluorescing mineral is too.

• 9 months later...

yesterday at the supermarket, they sell a mountain of disinfection lamp UVC

185 ~ 253 NM for only € 14.90

with no "DANGER" sign

I wanted to take the chance, but then I thought about the danger ... and that my Sony A7fs doesn't see, nor any lens.

disinfection lamp UVC _0011.jpg

36 minutes ago, photoni said:

yesterday at the supermarket, they sell a mountain of disinfection lamp UVC

185 ~ 253 NM for only € 14.90

with no "DANGER" sign

I wanted to take the chance, but then I thought about the danger ... and that my Sony A7fs doesn't see, nor any lens.

image.png.bfc7be8ce68ce0a17ad58f6b13b1a1f6.png

lukaszgryglicki

Not sure why this big font and red color, I know that UV-C is dangerous, even topic title says that, I think this is enough, we are not kids.

17 minutes ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

Not sure why this big font and red color, I know that UV-C is dangerous, even topic title says that, I think this is enough, we are not kids.

With an attitude like that, that is exactly why we need the warnings !

You are not the only audience here, there are children & beginners that visit this site & the warnings are needed to educate people to the dangers.

lukaszgryglicki

OK then, but for me title is enough - I won't ever more speak about this. I'm then OK with 60 size red font - not me to decide.

Font size is a little large. Hard to make out each word on the phone screen. All caps and red is better than being too big.

If its not a one letter colunm, its too hard to see the words. So either smaller,  but all caps or bigger I guess.

But really, 220nm is hard or expensive.  Great 220nm filters I was seeing were $2000 each. Way out side my price range.

As for the product in super markets,  I think these things need to be regulated. Thats just too large, open and powerful for an average Joe. But hopefully the cost of ozone lamps is coming back down.