UltravioletPhotography

Need help finding DIN EN 170: 2002 UV Transmittance

Andrea B.

If somebody has online access to some online science library or other online library which would provide the Transmittance Requirements for UV filters in Safety Glasses, we could really use that information. It would cost about (US)$80 to buy the download of this European standard. It must be online somewhere ??

DIN EN 170: 2002 – Personal eye-protection - Ultraviolet filters - Transmittance requirements and recommended use

The reason I'm asking is that our recommended UVEX Safety Glasses are now out-of-stock. And it appears that they will not be re-stocked. When I went to the UVEX site to try to find another recommendation, I was unable to find *any* transmittance information about the blocking offered by UVEX Safety Glasses. I did find (somewhere) that UVEX follows the cited European standard above. I don't need that entire standard, just the range of blocking.

But we need info about the OD. And whether or not the safety glasses hold up against UV-flash. Not that anybody is going to look at their UV-flash even with safety glasses, but there is a lot of bounce when using UV-flash.

This is hilarious !! (I'm assuming the two "stamps" refer to the "Protected by Copyright" phrase.)

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 4.24.52 PM.png

A Big Thank You to the finder of  EN 170: 2002 – Personal eye-protection - Ultraviolet filters - Transmittance requirements.

I won't identify the member who found the standard for us unless he/she wishes to be known.

But first a note in the form of an Edict from the Government who made this standard freely available.

(Not going to ID that country either. Don't want to put any country in the spotlight.)

I totally agree that we should all know the laws which govern us without fear of breaking Copyright.

Perhaps I'm a bit unsure, however, whether UV Safety Goggle Standards are an actual law?

Well, whatever.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 4.39.26 PM.png

I'm definitely for World Peace and Equal Justice for All !!

I would like to know, though, what exactly is that little house/hut doing on this official document at the bottom of the page?

Oh well.

It does look to me that the Standard permits quite a lot of UV between 365-405 nm at certain "Scale Numbers". We do need to determine what those scale numbers represent. Please let us know if you know. I've had a loooong day (a long few days), so nothing meaningful is occuring to me at the moment. ((Looked like f-stops at first.))

STANDARD

EN 170:2002 UV Transmittance

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 4.38.24 PM.png

Yep thought it would be something silly like that Andrea,  after I saw this document: 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nothingbutsafetyglasses.com/images/documents/safety_glasses_standards_guide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjS9q2E_bTzAhUcM1kFHQBWB_cQFnoECCcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0rfJN9ZSB-juabiRr54dVd&cshid=1633495901846

The 2 indicates colored glass filter.

If a 2c or 3 than its clear glass.

The next number is the EN standard number.

So if you buy a pair of glasses and they are marked EN 170 2-3, you have coloured glass that allows 2% transmission at 365nm, according to the table you have there.

If marked 2c-3 or 3-3, than clear glass that allows 2% transmission at 365nm. 

At least it seems we are always mostly protected from 313nm UVB light following this standard. 

The risk you are exposed to by (UV)-Light is dependent on the total amount of energy you are exposed to within a certain time (and depending on the frequency of the light). I think that is, where the scale factors might come from.

The European Commission has published a directive on this:
  https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=celex%3A32006L0025 .

You can compare the allowed exposure values with the values you expect from your light source. This should allow calculations for a flash. They also provide special guidelines for lasers, I guess a flash might be treated as a kind of laser light source as well.