UltravioletPhotography

Nikkor-Q Auto 1:4 f=20cm - Nippon Kogaku Japan - is UV capable?

lukaszgryglicki

lukaszgryglicki

Hi, I've bought this lens (https://www.destoutz.ch/lens_20cm_f4_169264.htmlhttps://www.ebay.pl/itm/193234426179) and send to John White for Ai conversion. I shoudl have it in maybe 2 weeks or so.

Anybody knows about any UV-capabilities of that lens?

It's 4/4 design (so no glue, small number of glass) and probably only single coated (unavoidable, even for oldest Nikon lenses).

Bought this because I want oldest possible, short tele, with 6-blade aperture (vintage) - but I wonder it may also perform well in UV? Anybody tried?

Yes, it does -- if your expectations are not of a cheap alternative to the UV-Nikkor. The camera end of the equation comes into play as well.

T0802226581.jpg

My son who has lived in Japan to study Japanese wrote the characters, which my Japanese friend Akira, also a UVP member, confirms read as 'ultraviolet' (in Japanese of course).

Sun lotion used to write the secret message and a Phalaenopsis sp. Moth Orchid as a botanical test subject. Nikon D200 and Baader U 2nd gen filter, SB-140 flash.

So without the Ai conversion it wont mount on a digital camera ?
What about a non electric adaptor like Nikon f mount to Leica l mount ?

lukaszgryglicki

It probably can mount - but some cameras may be damaged. I've never triad to mount non-Ai lens (in fact I've never seen one), but I've always read that I shouldn't mount non-Ai to a recent Nikon body. This is all about Nikon body, to mount this lens to Leica I - I have no idea...

There are F to L adapters. I have one by Novoflex.

Most non-AI Nikkors will mount happily on a mirrorless camera through a "dumb" adapter, but may damage the FTZ and likewise be harmful to the F-mount DSLRs. The Df is an exception and there are some among the non-D SLR models that can be used as well.