UltravioletPhotography

Using a bellows outdoors?

Doug A

The Kyoei 35 clone on extension tubes leaves little working distance. Want to try the original chrome Nikon El-Nikkor 105 enlarging lens. Before buying and lashing up a helicoid, I'll try my Pentax K mount bellows. Just need to order a K to m39 adapter. I recently saw a comment saying bellows may not be opaque to UV light. Has anyone encountered this problem? Also wondering if UV intensity falls off with extension, at the same rate as visible light?

Thanks,

Doug A

Like any other of our UV photo gear, it probably depends on what the bellows is made of? "-)

I've used an old Pentax bellows with some of the EL-Nikkors and had no problem making the UV photos.

I don't find the bellows as easy to handle as the helicoids but, as mentioned, it and its railing attachment are old.

But with bellows the main thing is to make sure there are no light leaks around attachments or

because the folds have developed cracks or little punctures.

Yes, I can confirm most bellows can have micro holes in the fabric over time. For ordinary photography these don't do much harm apart from lowering image contrast if the leakage is really severe. However, for UV or IR use, always test the bellows device to learn if problem leakages are found. A strong UV torch is ideal. Or any strong IR light source will do.

For field use, the compact Novoflex bellows is ideal in terms of size and it is also pretty rugged as the bellows material is coated with some sort of plastic. I have used it under pretty rainy conditions and it will survive just fine if rain drops are swept off by a towel later. One can have these devices with macro slider combined. Just test to see if leakages occur.

On 9/30/2021 at 6:48 PM, Andrea B. said:

I've used an old Pentax bellows with some of the EL-Nikkors and had no problem making the UV photos.

I don't find the bellows as easy to handle as the helicoids but, as mentioned, it and its railing attachment are old.

But with bellows the main thing is to make sure there are no light leaks around attachments or

because the folds have developed cracks or little punctures.

Good to know. Agree bellows are slower and more fragile for outdoor use. The built in macro slider does make the bellows more friendly. 

On 9/30/2021 at 11:05 PM, nfoto said:

Yes, I can confirm most bellows can have micro holes in the fabric over time. For ordinary photography these don't do much harm apart from lowering image contrast if the leakage is really severe. However, for UV or IR use, always test the bellows device to learn if problem leakages are found. A strong UV torch is ideal. Or any strong IR light source will do.

For field use, the compact Novoflex bellows is ideal in terms of size and it is also pretty rugged as the bellows material is coated with some sort of plastic. I have used it under pretty rainy conditions and it will survive just fine if rain drops are swept off by a towel later. One can have these devices with macro slider combined. Just test to see if leakages occur. 

Tested the bellows and it seems fine. Didn't see any leaks using the Nemo flashlight. Shot some outdoor landscapes and they also look fine. 

Another advantage of the bellows is the back side of the front standard is threaded. So the filter stack can be placed inside the bellows. Then the bellows material is re-attached via thumb screw. This seems to help control reflections and flare.

Novoflex makes cool equipment. Always wanted their articulating bellows. Focus stacking can't do everything. Scheimpflug is still a useful tool.

Thanks,

Doug