UltravioletPhotography

Black paint question for the membership. Backdrops.

Andrea B.

I was just discussing backdrops for photo subjects with another member. I recall we had some discussion here about what kind of black paint might be good for painting a board or a canvas in order to use it as a black backdrop.

So, please, if you could refresh my memory on this topic? Or add anything new about backdrops whether black or white or inbetween, whether cloth, board, canvas or whatnot.

Then there was also a reference to some black-hole like material which is super-black. Are there any new links to that stuff.

OK, so the subject is backdrops, paint for backdrops, material for backdrops. Black, white. Possibly other colors.

Looking forward to the suggestion about what works for you.

To get things started, I learned from Adrian and his outstanding fluorescent work, that black velvet makes for a nice UV-absorbing background. True silk black velvet (not synthetic), the best velvet for photo backdrops, is hard to find. I've been using a rayon black velvet which works next-best. It workd well enough for me to continue using it even though I must, on occasion, darken part of the photo background where I've over-flashed it.

Recent example: Coreopsis, Echinacea, Zinnia: Small Garden Bouquet

So far I have been using the Canson Watercolor paper for a white backdrop. It works OK but light fall off at the edges can bcause some discoloration. I really want a surface that doesn't hold dust.

Maybe there is a darker black paper with dyes that can absorb UV. Maybe something over the counter that astronomy users can bring to the table?

The first photos from your link is perfect, but the rest have that texture I find distracting. It's almost there. Maybe the idea is to push the backdrop further away, but I can't always do that.

The paints that have been tested are Semple Culturehustle Black 2 (and possibly 3):

http://stuartsemple....k-art-material/

and the other one is the K01602A07 Ultra-Flat Black 12 oz. 075577000609

https://www.krylonin...crylic-lacquer/

Acktar metal velvet works great if you have only a small region to cover and need VERY dark black (it is expensive if you need to cover large areas):

https://www.acktar.com/product/metal-velvet-2/

Ulf, I don’t know if you looked at that Acktar metal velvet but it’s definitely not cheap or vinyl? It’s high quality scientific grade flocking material.

I have used Acktar but neither of the paints. Jonathan and David both tried Culture Hustle and liked it.

Shane and cadmium recommended the Krylon.

I have an entire roll of astro flocking that I use for camera lenses. It gathers dust like nobodies business and the edges fluoresce because of the white paper backing. I guess it wont hurt to give it a try as a backdrop. I don't mind some reflection or scattering as long as it doesn't look distracting.

B1: The first photos from your link is perfect, but the rest have that texture I find distracting. It's almost there. Maybe the idea is to push the backdrop further away, but I can't always do that.

That is easily fixed. A simple selection and darkening. I use PS Elements usually. Just wanted to mention this.

Semple black 2 is what I have painted on low fluorescent cardboard.

I first use a Convoy led flashlight to find the cardboard that doesn't fluorescence much. It amazing the difference between boxes from Amazon or USPS. Than paint it.

I also have black 3.0, but haven't painted anything with it yet.

But this paint is probably the winner for best at 98.8% light absorption when painted with a brush or 99.4% absorption when airbushed:

https://www.ko-pro.black/product/musou-black-paint/

Their flocking material also looks good. But I haven't tried either. I really don't care for near 100% black, just try to have the background further back and it drops away.

https://www.ko-pro.black/irflock/

Their [KoPro] flocking material also looks good. But I haven't tried either. I really don't care for near 100% black, just try to have the background further back and it drops away.

That KoPro black fabric is just my rayon Black Velvet but with the addition of carbon. Not sure how they added carbon. Interesting. Without that rayon velvet is rather IR-reflective.

I've tried painting artist's canvases black but the canvas texture tends to show up. Usually selection and darkening in the editor fixes that. But it is an extra step.

I have a piece of black velvet which is probably 40 years old, and is superb. I have been trying to get some more, and found it almost impossible. After obtaining many samples my best try has been "Darjeeling Black" from Minerva.com.

As to the paint, I have used Semple Black 2, which is OK but not perfect. I have just bought version 3, which I hope to try soon.

Maybe if you visit an antique clothing store you could find an old dress or skirt made from true silk velvet?

Thank you for the reference to Minerva.com.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 12:12 AM, dabateman said:

Semple black 2 is what I have painted on low fluorescent cardboard.

I first use a Convoy led flashlight to find the cardboard that doesn't fluorescence much. It amazing the difference between boxes from Amazon or USPS. Than paint it.

I also have black 3.0, but haven't painted anything with it yet.

But this paint is probably the winner for best at 98.8% light absorption when painted with a brush or 99.4% absorption when airbushed:

Which cardboard worked best USPS or Amazon?

On 9/13/2021 at 6:13 PM, Andy Perrin said:

and the other one is the K01602A07 Ultra-Flat Black 12 oz. 075577000609

I tried this on some Epson archival art paper. Applied something like 15-20 coats and I could still see the paper spots around the paint. Though, I think the paper had brighteners. I might try again but I need to get the right type of paper.

On 9/15/2021 at 1:55 PM, Andrea B. said:

Maybe if you visit an antique clothing store you could find an old dress or skirt made from true silk velvet?

Thank you for the reference to Minerva.com.

Thanks, I am going to look into this!

On 9/15/2021 at 12:48 PM, Adrian said:

I have a piece of black velvet which is probably 40 years old, and is superb. I have been trying to get some more, and found it almost impossible. After obtaining many samples my best try has been "Darjeeling Black" from Minerva.com.

Maybe I can find some of this stuff on sale after Halloween! Not sure if Minerva ships to USA.

I get almost everything from Amazon mailed to my door,  including food.

We don't leave the house at all. 

So my Amazon sample size is much better.  Best to shine your UV flashlight first on all your paper/ cardboard to see what is lowest fluorescence.  

Even from Amazon you will get a lot of fluorescent boxes.

Probably depends on the recycled materials. But some don't at all.