UltravioletPhotography

De-linting backdrops and photo subjects (like flowers)

Andrea B.

https://www.amazon.c...1568072&sr=8-29

That thing is the best I've ever used for de-linting clothes and also black velvet photo backdrops or other cloth photo backdrops.

There are cheaper versions, but they don't have the container which cleans the brush (when you pull it back out). The container traps the lint for later disposal via the removable bottom.

The amazon link is FYI. These kind of lint brushes can be found in many home goods stores. In the US for example, you can find such de-linters at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

We have two pet cats. That explains that.

To delint a flower, you can use a bulb air-puffer. But I've found that an artists's brush works great if you charge up its static electricity by brushing it against the edge of a glass or similar.

I usually use a soft, squared off, artist's brush. I don't think the brush material much matters. Synthetic charges up just as well as sable.

You don't want to get the very cheapest artist's brush though (like, for kids), because you might wind up with more brush hairs on the subject than the lint which you are trying to remove.

I don't really brush the flower by direct contact. It's more like you hold the brush close and it attracts the lint. Certainly works well for larger, visible lint and fibers. And if the fiber is stuck or tangled on the flower, you can hook it with the brush fibers to pull it off.

There will always be some lint which escapes to "beautify" your fluorescence photo. This is why we have dust-bunny clone-out tools in photo editors.

Thanks for starting the topic.

I have been using a Q-Tip to debug and de-web. I use scotch tape to remove lint, as it was instructed by the manufacturer of astronomical flocking. I also use the bulb blower to blast the lint that lands on a flower. I have a really old duster that is made of red sable, but you can find them at art supply stores. I prefer the natural hair of the red sable over the synthetic stuff. Especially for cleaning camera lenses.

Yes, cotton swabs will occasionally leave something behind, but it does a good job of giving little spiders a ride and grabbing the web. A foam type like used in a makeup kit might actually work better. My goal is to not wipe away any pollen. So, it become a tedious task and a question of how much cleaning is too much.