UltravioletPhotography

Any diffusion materials for UV light sources?

Doug A

I have a thin plastic diffuser on one of my UV-Led flashlights, but I don't know where you buy thin plastic diffusion material. The point is, the diffuser doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Sorry, my feedback was around flash strobe. I should have paid closer attention to the question.

For the flashlight I ended up buying 3 torches. I mount one or two of them fixed on the flower. Then as the exposure is usually 1.5-1/4 second I have just enough time to wave the other one around in a small circle from a different angle. Two or three light sources is plenty enough to eliminate hard shadows.

Softening the light would be a different situation. Though, my suggestion is probably closer to light painting and shadow coverage than diffusion.

Any material that spreads light out and passes UV? Thinking of a light modifier to make flashlight beam less pinpoint.

Thanks,

Doug A

Yes you can buy a sheet of thin PTFE and cut that for your flash. PTFE passes UV very well. And is more diffuse than the Lee 750 I was using for a while, Duram frost I think.

Alternatively, you can get a cheap sheet of clear PMMA and wrap plumbing tape around it. Plumbing tape is also made of PTFE.

For one of my Canon 199A flashes, I did that. I had a clear PMMA window and just wrapped it. It works well and doesn't cut the UV by much.

Oh flashlight not flash.

This thread is the answer and you gues it wrap it in plumbing tape:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3510-paint-torch-reflector-black/page__view__findpost__p__30493

Interesting read. Not sure I want to paint the new flashlights. At least the tape mod is reversible. I was supposed to buy tape today to make a WB target. Totally forgot. On the list for tomorrow.

Thanks,

Doug A