UltravioletPhotography

Kuri + Nikon = need M42-Nikon-F adapter

lukaszgryglicki

lukaszgryglicki

Hi, I can find Kuri on the internet.

The problem is I need to mount this on Nikon's body.

There are lots of M42->Nikon-F adapters - and there are two classes of them:

1) Without an extra optic element - but M42 lenses won't be able to focus at infinity

2) With the extra glass to allow infinity-focus (this is due to shorter M42 flange distance than Nikon-F has).

I would rather go with option (2) but is this "extra" glass blocking UV and making Kuri unusable in UV just like most lenses? Are there multiple types of such (2) adapters? If so which one has best glass to allow using Kuri in UV the best possible way?

It's a matter of 1mm. Which you might be able to trim off the adapter. Do not select option (2) as the extra element if notr destroying UV response certainly will adversely effect image sharpness and add optical aberrations of its own.

If you get ever so close to infinity focus, stopping down the lens might help it go the additional mile so to speak.

I have a M42 to Nikon adapter (No glass) and it depends on the lens the maximum focus range.

Some lenses have their focus ring go beyond infinity and they work better.

My Pentax 85mm lens focuses to about 20 feet. Good enough for macro and close up imaging, which I mostly do.

You can message Cadmium about option 2. He mostly photographs with Nikon and has around 400 35mm Petr lenses. I am joking about the number, but not by much.

lukaszgryglicki

I've bought option (1) now for just under $4.

I've also bought two dirt cheap lenses:

- Soligor 35/3.5 for about $28. It is a KA version (I guess), serial no. is KA63858 (like this one?: https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/4557-soligor-35mm-f35-ka/)

- Soligor 135/3.5 for about $48. Not sure which one it is, it says: Soligor 1:3.5 f=135 mm No. M169009 lens made in Japan (maybe this? https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/4469-soligor-135mm-f135/)

Will see.

Marco Lagemaat

It's a matter of 1mm. Which you might be able to trim off the adapter. Do not select option (2) as the extra element if notr destroying UV response certainly will adversely effect image sharpness and add optical aberrations of its own.

If you get ever so close to infinity focus, stopping down the lens might help it go the additional mile so to speak.

Same problem with my lenses for Nikon!

Is there a "how to" to adjust the lenses? you said 1mm? is that sure?

Get an M42 to Nikon Infinity adapter. Get the cheapest one you can find. They make those cheap ones out of uncoated glass that has a fairly good UV transmission.

Also get the same with no lens which you can use for close work. The infinity one I have been using for years cost under $20.

You can test the infinity lens glass to make sure it is transmitting UV well.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=M42+Nikon+infinity&_sacat=0&_sop=15

post-87-0-10692300-1630962289.jpg

the ideal is a mirrorless :)

look for one with defects, my 150 € has the sensor scratched and some buttons glued (I think it's a DIY modification)

or ... my repairman says you can shorten the focus to infinity of many old SLR lenses.

Photoni,

Yes on some lenses you can shorten the throw.

But they want to go the other way. Increase the barrel to go beyond infinity. Because the adapter is designed forM42 mount with 45.5mm and Nikon has 46.5mm flange back distance. So it makes things macro.

Some lenses have a barrel screw stop that can be pulled out and you can focus way past infinity. But I haven't owned or taken apart the kuri. My Steinheil 50mm, I could do that with to get infinity focus on a Nikon. But it was so soft, there is no point.

UVC masked man ... 1 mm is not a lot ... :)

if you think you have a favorite lens change only the -1mm one.

or close to f: 16 = hyperfocal = the norm is with a normal 50mm from infinity to 2.7 meters ... it will become from infinity to 2 meters.

in macro there are no problems.

if the thing is for work (and you want to sell the images) take a mirrorles and put a thousand adapters.

lukaszgryglicki
It's for fun. I will have two adapters. 1 - no glass, 2 - the cheapest one with (hopefully) uncoated glass.
Marco Lagemaat

But my question was.. is there a 'how to' to modify the 1mm lens. Because that would solve the problem without buying the glass adapter.

To buy an other mirrorless camera is more expensive. My wallet doesn't like that. :unsure:

But my question was.. is there a 'how to' to modify the 1mm lens. Because that would solve the problem without buying the glass adapter.

To buy an other mirrorless camera is more expensive. My wallet doesn't like that. :unsure:

The adapter can't be modified. Your stuck.

Modifying the lens is lens specific. Some the stop screw is under the rubber focus grip part. Some you need to disable more and its near the aperture blades.

Some don't have one accessible.