UltravioletPhotography

questionable translation

photoni

I came to this site very ignorant , you helped me understand things and understand graphs :)

maybe I got to the hardest thing, translating.

translating what my Sony A7 full spectrum sees

I have learned that photoshop is not enough

that Nikon programs limp

i'm trusting the balance of Capture One, even if the written values are not real but out of the numeric range but beyond.

now i show you a flower (unknown) with uv translation and bee vision

like a rookie it all seems OPINABLE

there is no logical translation

just change little things to get different results

the first image A with only BG39 (Andrea ... I don't have the BG38 :-)

the second B with BG39+ BG25 and automatic white with Capture One

the third using photo B for the blue channel and the others shifted by A

what do you think ?

Thanks

Toni

post-141-0-09342200-1630700665.jpg

post-141-0-18619200-1630700678.jpg

post-141-0-73347500-1630700689.jpg

I think the second photograph is a very cool rendition of the UV bullseye. That is my "fave". (La mia prefirita delle tre. Forte!) I like the color palette very much.

The visible color looks good enough Toni. Just measure the BG39 against something visibly white to get the best. (I know you did that. Just a reminder to new readers.)

Yes, we are free to make use of false colours in any way we like. That is what makes invisible light photography so much fun. There are so many different directions in which to take our artistry.

I also backed onto multispectral photography. In other words, I approached it from the low road of aesthetics and not the high road of science. That means I am driven by emotion and not hypothesis.

However, that is not to say that I ignore the science that built these techniques. In fact, when I come across coincidence bells start to ring, and I become very intrigued by those who use these methods as their daily bread in scientific discovery.

As a way to communicate to others what they have bound to conclusion, it makes me want to take the high road as well. Color is used in so many ways to lay out information for easy digestion. For instance, think about weather radar. It's just another form of using partial spectrums and layering in such a way the human brain can make quick interpretations and decisions. False or otherwise, color guides us in many ways.

Really, the only standard that I see being relevant to my journey is white balance as a way to normalized transmission and absorption onto our medium. Like film or a sensor or the glass that brings it to us. I think it we didn't strive for that normal than most end users would not be able to make informed decisions about procurement. We would be chasing our tails on the right tools.

Cheers

:bee:

I like the second version most also.

The main purpose of having a standard rendition of the colors was to allow people to judge things like IR contamination, and also (in the flower pics) differences between flowers. If the image is already showing the intended bands of light, and the user is happy with it, the color rendition doesn’t have to be the standard one. (We have one user who always channel flips for example.)

when I say "questionable" perhaps it is a more philosophical problem than photography itself.

In this photo of a dahlia; the one in the middle is the translation of the C1 program, of the white balance.

is it justifiable?

I only have BG25 and BG39, maybe with other deeper filters it would be different ....

but in that case the sensitivity of the individual pixels comes into play with different sensitivity of the Bayer reticule.

mahh ? ¿? ¿? ¿

P.S. the photo on the right is not in register because the two precedents were made freehand not with a tripod

post-141-0-49995200-1630740521.jpg

I also backed onto multispectral photography. In other words, I approached it from the low road of aesthetics and not the high road of science. That means I am driven by emotion and not hypothesis.

However, that is not to say that I ignore the science that built these techniques. In fact, when I come across coincidence bells start to ring, and I become very intrigued by those who use these methods as their daily bread in scientific discovery.

As a way to communicate to others what they have bound to conclusion, it makes me want to take the high road as well. Color is used in so many ways to lay out information for easy digestion. For instance, think about weather radar. It's just another form of using partial spectrums and layering in such a way the human brain can make quick interpretations and decisions. False or otherwise, color guides us in many ways.

Really, the only standard that I see being relevant to my journey is white balance as a way to normalized transmission and absorption onto our medium. Like film or a sensor or the glass that brings it to us. I think it we didn't strive for that normal than most end users would not be able to make informed decisions about procurement. We would be chasing our tails on the right tools.

Cheers

:bee:

BlazerOne

I find it easier to read a radar or topographic map.

65-14 = 51 I have been looking for the real photographic representation for 51 years, in this place I feel crazy.

Hah, I don't think we claim any set of colors as "more real," at most, standardized, and only for pure UV (<400nm) with bayer filters. Anything else, we don't even have a standard for. But all of it is "real." It's real light and real pixels, bouncing off real flowers.

Of those three, I like the third one best.

Remember this about false color: it is simply an artifact produced by the UV-transmission properties of the Bayer filter combined with the UV-transmission properties your camera, lens and filter.

So you can do anything at all you want do when processing a file in false color. Change it, leave it alone, push it here, push it there. :grin:

The only place on UVP we require a standardized white balance is in the Botanical section.

Toni, it might be interesting for you to make use of the raw colors recorded by the camera without any applied white balance. That is about as "real" a color you can make out of false colors.