UltravioletPhotography

Nikkor 50/1.8 AF-D

lukaszgryglicki

lukaszgryglicki

This is how Nikkor 50/1.8 AF-D behaves on Nikon D600 full spectrum converted and debayered (white balance makes no sense at all in this case). The filter is 4mm U-340 Hoya.

All handheld, just firt trials, I would say that 50mm/1.8 has a ton of "chromatic" aberrations in UV, so that makes its images dreamy (by chromatic I mean just different wavelengths inside UV-A range).

My ugly face in UV:

1/40s, f=1.8, ISO, 1100:

50_face_uv_1_40s__f1_8__iso1100.jpg

1/40s, f=1.8s, ISO 400:

50_face_uv_1_40s__f1_8__iso400.jpg

Leaves 1/5s, f=4, ISO 800:

50_leaves_uv_1_5s__f4__iso800.jpg

Landscape, 1/30s, f=1.8, ISO 800:

50_scape_uv_1_30s__f1_8__iso800.jpg

And for reference, full spectrum photos:

1/250s, f=8, ISO 100:

50_face_fs_1_250s__f8__iso100.jpg

1/250s, f=8, ISO 100:

50_scape_fs_1_250s__f8__iso100.jpg

And IR 760+ nm:

1/125s, f=5.5, ISO 100:

50_face_ir_1_125s__f5_6__iso100.jpg

1/125s, f=5.6, ISO 100:

50_scape_ir_1_125s__f5_6__iso100.jpg

Hope that somebody finds it useful.

lukaszgryglicki
BTW: you can see how the Bayer filter was "physically" removed from the sensor, see edges... you can see how much light is stolen by the Bayer matrix/CFA in UV. I stoles a lot less in IR (seems like they are way more transparent, you can also see that in full-spectrum photos, but to a lesser degree).

Łukasz -- Hello and Welcome to UltravioletPhotography.com. It's nice to have you here. :grin:

I had a Nikon D600 full-spectrum conversion which I used for years before moving to a D610 conversion. Both those cameras are really excellent for UV/IR work. So you will get some good stuff from your D600! I converted my old D600 before the information came out about the oil splatter problem. I didn't think Nikon would repair a converted D600 while maintaining the conversion, so I got the D610 and converted that.

Currently I do not have any de-Bayered cameras, so it is quite interesting to me to see how the D600 will perform as a mono. The Infrareds you have posted are quite sharp!! That is very cool as IR can be a little soft in the details just because of its long-waved nature. But all those pixels which are freed up seem to really boost the outcome of the IR photos.

Also, I have both those lenses you are testing out: the Nikkor 50/1.8 AFD and the Macro 105/2.8 AFD. It is nice to see some work with them in mono UV/IR.

I am slightly concerned that your 4.0 mm U340 is passing some IR light?? We usually recommend adding an IR blocker to that U340 x 4.0. I'll try to get out and run a little test on that this afternoon with my copy of that 50/1.8 to see what I get. Altho it won't be mono, maybe I will get something useful anyway.

Looking forward to your contributions. :cool:

lukaszgryglicki

I suspect that U-340 might be "fake"

It's name looks like glued on the filter thread - hard to say what exactly, also when I stop down to f=8 or f=16 I start to see hot-spots or something that looks like an internal reflections of eigher lenses (both) or filter. This *may be* two Hoyas U-340 2mm glued together for instance.

My other lenses were worse so I wasn't able to see this, now I just start suspecting the filter is just bad.

Another one is in transit - Kolari UV - will see that one.

Also noted that Hoya U-340 has an IR leak - I knew that before, but when I was looking at 4mm transmission curvers - it looked very small, but maybe still able to contaminate the final UV image.

Chances are that this Hoya can just be a total fake too... but how to check this? Dreamy look suggests "chromatic" aberration - that was something that I was expecting from non-UV lens in 3x0-400 nm - this is why I was/am thinking that images are at least a bit UV indeed.

A 4mm thick U340 is likely glued. The one I have from Uviroptics/Ebay is glued. I love that filter and use it a lot both with and without an IR-blocker.

Anyway, let me see what I get from a 4mm U340 on the 50/1.8 which might help you. It will take a while to get it posted.

Hotspotting in UV or IR is possible with many lenses and filter combos. But sometimes you can work around it with a different angle or different aperture.

The dreamy look could very likely be from shooting at f/1.8. :wink:

Do you have some aluminum foil used for cooking? Crumple up a piece of it and shoot it in strong sunlight. This is an easy way to look for chromatic aberration. In UV false color, you would see lots of purple/blue edges on the foil. In mono, I'm not exactly sure what you would see! But the aberration will be detectable.

lukaszgryglicki

Would be great to see what you can get.

Dreamy look.... hmmm - it was quite the same for f=4 and in IR or Full-spectrum there is no dreamy look at f=1.8.... I know that in such case UV contributes to maybe 0.5% if not less...