UltravioletPhotography

Chinese filters - a positive experience

Andy Perrin
Yeah, but I guess what I'm coming back around to is, why worry about Tangsinuo having striations if everyone's U glass does? Can't we just do the same thing and cut out filters that don't have the striations?
Merciful heavens people, you are always picking everything apart into a thousand pieces. I’m going to stop commenting for a while.

If you are ordering one filter or whatever, and it has some anomaly then good luck. Or are you going to 'pick it apart' and cut something from it, from a sheet?

Andrea, You didn't say anything wrong.

Andy Perrin
I'm just trying to understand what on earth everyone is saying. Are we talking about ordering sheets from Tangsinuo and cutting filters from them? Because if that's the case then it seems the same as Schott. If we are talking about ordering individual cut filters from them and they won't choose to cut them from the good unstriated parts of the sheet then I guess that's not good.
Andy, I guess we are talking about cut filters, or either really, point being is getting filters that are remade would be free of defects.

Added: Keep in mind that all Tiffen filters are just clear filter glass with a 'plastic' type of center sandwiched between the clear glass.

And that is a good thing in some situations as that active filtering center part do not have any fluorescence as most other different yellow, orange and red filters do.

Their UV haze filters is nice for cutting the UV-light from LEDs for UV-induced Visual Fluorescence.

I mostly use my filters from Tangsinuo to shape and limit the light in different ways in my spectrometer setups.

I have many filters for that purpose.

In my spectrometry setups I do not have to be very picky about the quality as long as the transmission is what I want.

However I have not seen any defects at all in their filters, so far, and agree with Jonathan's assessment of the quality.

Tangsinuo have had a very big range of different types of filters in many dimensions and thicknesses.

They are also very nice to deal with and often open for customisation.

For photography I mostly use quality filters made by Steve from materials by Schott and Hoya.

I think I will try to add something about Tangsinuo to the Filters Sticky. I've wanted to loosen up on the Chinese filter thing by finding a reputable supplier. I think that certain warnings must remain though due to the striation problem. We should push back on the unacceptability of selling a filter with striations which are not consumer grade.

I think I will try to add something about Tangsinuo to the Filters Sticky. I've wanted to loosen up on the Chinese filter thing by finding a reputable supplier. I think that certain warnings must remain though due to the striation problem. We should push back on the unacceptability of selling a filter with striations which are not consumer grade.

Reasonable, but I'll add that striations seem to be rather rare with Tangsinuo. I have received a delivery of 4 filters just a few days ago and with my tests I have noticed no striations.

Good to hear that!

Thanks. Off the top of my head I think I own 8 or 9 Tangsinuo filters and I have only discovered striations on one.

I have bought many filters (>25-35?) from them in different shapes and thicknesses.

None of them has had any striations.

A long time ago I got one with a slight dimple in the surface.

They replaced it promptly for free.

I have bought many filters (>25-35?) from them in different shapes and thicknesses.

None of them has had any striations.

A long time ago I got one with a slight dimple in the surface.

They replaced it promptly for free.

Really? That doesn't add up with what Mr. Li said about not refunding striations. I wonder what he would say if I actually complained about striations have I received any. I haven't so that's good. I guess I just got very unlucky with my first ZWB1. It was actually the first UV/IR dual bandpass that I bought, I didn't know that much then and from the transmission graphs I've seen on the listing it seemed like the best one to me.

I am waiting for some ZWB1, 100 x 75 x 8mm, to filter the UVB LEDs , to arrive next week ........ :grin:

Based on this I have discussed with Jason Li about getting some 8mm thick glass rounds, ca Ø50mm made of ZWB1.

I want to compare with the 2 x U-340, 4mm stack I made by filters I bought from Cadmium.

Jason said it was possible for him to deliver such rounds.

I explained the usage, (deeper UV-A without any need for a BG-stack)

The price will definitely not be as low as Tangsinuo's standard filters as it uses more material and the round is custom made.

He told me this " For 50x8.0mm,the price is USD48 per piece "

If there is any interest beside mine getting such filter rounds, this is a good time to do so, when 8mm material is available.

Maybe a group buy can help lower the price a bit too, as the machine setup, for cutting the rounds will only be done once.

I will wait a week or so before asking him to go ahead making my round.

Please let me know if there is some tentative interest, either directly here or via a private message.

I just want to collect information about a potential interest, to give to Jason.

The final orders has to be handled by each one, without involving me.

Andy Perrin

I would be down for it (50mmx8). Do they come mounted? Not sure how you mount such a thick filter.

Ulf are we all ordering separately? Or will you collect our orders and send them all at once?

I will join the queue too with an order for two please.

But Ulf will be dumped with a huge VAT & Customs bill as well.

If it is under AUD 1000 I can get it with no extra costs, usually.

I am in communication with Jason too now.

I would be down for it (50mmx8). Do they come mounted? Not sure how you mount such a thick filter.

Ulf are we all ordering separately? Or will you collect our orders and send them all at once?

I was just asking to determine the interest to be able to indicate that to Jason.

So far we need six filter rounds including mine if Jonathan can accept the currently stated price.

Everyone will have to place their own order. It is quite meaningless if I place an order for all filters.

I do not want to be a middleman and I also have to pay Swedish VAT (25%) and the customs fees.

The only thing I do is to gather information of the interest and try to make as many as possible happy.

getting this interesting filter.

I / we ow Colin some gratitude for persuading Jason to make a 8mm filter sheet in the first place. THNK YOU!

I tried some year ago asking Jason about this kind of filter. Then he was not interested to make one.

I intend to cover the edges to block light from entering that way. Tape, heat shrink tube, or black paint.

Then I will use a 52mm step up ring or long filter cell to mount the round in,without without using a retaining ring, as the glass round will be too long and extend in front of the ring's edge.

I will first test with putty mounting and then glue it more permanently, possibly with UV-curing glue.

I will wait some time to see if there are more takers popping up.

I just messaged with my interest. I am also asking if one could be cut into a 25mm ring.

As I use that size as well. 72mm doesn't make sense, my 3rd filter standard.

Andy Perrin
Sorry, how does one place an order for this filter? I do not see a link on the site at the moment.

Sorry, how does one place an order for this filter? I do not see a link on the site at the moment.

Jason usually has you click on something similarly priced in Ebay store for special items.

But he might just have enough interest here to have an official Ebay listing. I asked as well in my message. Indicating that he may be surprised how many people want this filter and should just list it.

SORRY ME IF I GET INTO THIS DISCUSSION OF "Tangsinuo"

I am very sad. today

I dropped the Schott BG 25 filter, it broke into 100 pieces.

On Ebay I can't find anyone who sells it.

I wrote to this seller but it looks like he doesn't have it anymore

do you have an address? another different numbering?

thanks Toni

correct, the seller has other pieces

post-141-0-42827800-1627337727.jpg