UltravioletPhotography

For the 365nm Junky

colinbm

That looks powerful!

36 W out of four 18650's is definitely possible, high drain batteries of the same size can output several times that.

36 W out of three LEDs means 12 W per LED, which is possible, although those quad LEDs are more often rated for 10 W, but this isn't a hard rule.

6 W of output at 36 W of input is possible too, that's ~16.7% efficiency, it's actually low for today's 365 nm LEDs which are at least 30-35% efficient, with some reaching even 50%. But the filter they put does reduce the output, so it can be reasonable.

Dissipating 30 W of heat isn't easy, that's a lot and that torch will be hot after say 20 minutes of use, but there are torches this powerful around. One review says that the power ramps down, and this is actually common and to be expected at such high powers.

There are surely better batteries than those they supply the torch with, although they will work too.

The specs are believable. If confirmed, they make this torch possibly ~3x more powerful than a Nemo and ~19x more powerful than a Convoy S2+ on the input power side (using the typical values of the Nichia LEDs used, both old and new, we get 1.9 W on a Convoy. See here for the specs).

Let's hope this torch is as good as it seems.

I agree with Stefano that one of the main problems with this torch is to cool it properly.

Already the Nemo is close to marginal in that respect and this torch do not have three times as big cooling surfaces.

If the drive electronics is done as a switching DCDC converter it is not impossible that it works.

However remember that almost all torches are specified above what they actually deliver, including the Nemo.

I just love the graphic for the addition of the most likely ZWB2 filter. To stop stray visible light from getting into the flashlight.

I am always worried about light getting into my flashlights, how else can they see. Just classic.

The odd statements in the specifications like the one David pointed out above makes me believe that more of the spec. is incorrect.

Also if you think about it. If you did have some wonder mirror coating that reflected all your ambient visible light from the front of the flashlight, then it would look like it was emitting visible light! So wouldn't be so pure UV light source.

I am surprised their brains were off when they drew that one.

I don't think it actually outputs 6 W of UV and uses the full 36 W of power, just like the Nemo it can be a bit inflated, but even if it has half the claimed power that's still plenty, more than a Nemo.