• Ultraviolet Photography
  •  

Rattus norvegicus (Brown rat) in circa 800-850nm IR

11 replies to this topic

#1 Fandyus

    František G.

  • Members
  • 223 posts
  • Location: Czech republic, Northern Bohemia

Posted 14 May 2021 - 13:54

I keep these as pets (currently 3), I can only recommend. They're very friendly and curious little critters :) Very clean and smart too.
This one is one of my girls, Memfis. Not much of her is visible but her coating is Rex and her color is russian blue (the part on the image is, anyway). I honestly can't tell many differences from normal except that her irises are way brighter and you can clearly see the pupils. Here they're constricted because she was lounging in the sun.
Attached Image: IMG_6876.jpg
Shot with a converted Canon EOS 1100D + unknown filter probably 800-850nm longpass + Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

Edited by Fandyus, 14 May 2021 - 19:47.


#2 Andy Perrin

    Member

  • Members+G
  • 4,403 posts
  • Location: United States

Posted 14 May 2021 - 16:33

Aw, she is very cute.

#3 Fandyus

    František G.

  • Members
  • 223 posts
  • Location: Czech republic, Northern Bohemia

Posted 14 May 2021 - 16:38

Thanks, I am aware every time I look in the cage. :)

#4 dabateman

    Da Bateman

  • Members+G
  • 2,992 posts
  • Location: Maryland

Posted 14 May 2021 - 18:06

This year is an other peak cicada year where we are expecting a huge number to come up to the surface. So they are warning about the expected rat problem as they eat them. Then when they run out the rats turn to the nearby homes.
I am glad you have already started to cage them up. :grin:

#5 Andrea B.

    Desert Dancer

  • Owner-Administrator
  • 9,098 posts
  • Location: UVP Western Division, Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 14 May 2021 - 18:35

I've always heard that rats make nice pets. Quite interesting to see in IR, so hope to see other views eventually.

F.G., usually we list camera + lens + filter when posting a UV or IR photo. It is informative to the members and helps us learn how all the gear works. Not mandatory, of course. :grin:
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#6 Fandyus

    František G.

  • Members
  • 223 posts
  • Location: Czech republic, Northern Bohemia

Posted 14 May 2021 - 19:42

View Postdabateman, on 14 May 2021 - 18:06, said:

This year is an other peak cicada year where we are expecting a huge number to come up to the surface. So they are warning about the expected rat problem as they eat them. Then when they run out the rats turn to the nearby homes.
I am glad you have already started to cage them up. :grin:
Not to spoil the joke but actually, this girl and her mates are quite different from wild rats because they're the domesticated kind. It's actually about as much of a difference between a wolf and a dog, really. Main differences are that domestic rats are way more friendly and tame, and they don't spread any diseases. They would likely not even survive in the wild if I were to leave them somewhere (which I would never do). :)
But yeah, interestingly enough, rats are prey animals but they like to occasionally hunt down insects. Even pet rats really appreciate mealworms and such. But yeah I get it was just a joke, sorry for rambling. I like to spread information about pet rats because I feel like they're very underappreciated unfortunately.

#7 Fandyus

    František G.

  • Members
  • 223 posts
  • Location: Czech republic, Northern Bohemia

Posted 14 May 2021 - 19:43

View PostAndrea B., on 14 May 2021 - 18:35, said:

I've always heard that rats make nice pets. Quite interesting to see in IR, so hope to see other views eventually.

F.G., usually we list camera + lens + filter when posting a UV or IR photo. It is informative to the members and helps us learn how all the gear works. Not mandatory, of course. :grin:
For sure, I will add the info :)

#8 dabateman

    Da Bateman

  • Members+G
  • 2,992 posts
  • Location: Maryland

Posted 15 May 2021 - 00:12

Yes I remember the difference. One of my roommates in 3rd year University had a pet rat. She would let it crawl around her while she ate in front of the TV with us. It was a little odd but you get used to things.
That same year I was taking a lab course where I was doing tail vein injections and blood draws from rats too. So was familiar.
I have only seen wild rats a couple of times around here in the DC area. In Toronto and in subways.

#9 Fandyus

    František G.

  • Members
  • 223 posts
  • Location: Czech republic, Northern Bohemia

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:33

Ah, right, sorry for killing the joke then. I hope I didn't seem preachy.

#10 UlfW

    Ulf W

  • Members+G
  • 1,811 posts
  • Location: Sweden, Malmö

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:38

View Postdabateman, on 15 May 2021 - 00:12, said:

Yes I remember the difference. One of my roommates in 3rd year University had a pet rat. She would let it crawl around her while she ate in front of the TV with us. It was a little odd but you get used to things.
That same year I was taking a lab course where I was doing tail vein injections and blood draws from rats too. So was familiar.
I have only seen wild rats a couple of times around here in the DC area. In Toronto and in subways.
They are mostly active at nights and early in the morning. I think they are present in all cities but seldom visible.
Ulf Wilhelmson
Curious and trying to see the invisible.

#11 dabateman

    Da Bateman

  • Members+G
  • 2,992 posts
  • Location: Maryland

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:34

View PostFandyus, on 15 May 2021 - 10:33, said:

Ah, right, sorry for killing the joke then. I hope I didn't seem preachy.

No never think that. This is your thread. Thank you for not being upset with my jokes.

Do you have other color filters and a broad band light like a halogen or incandescent bulb? I wouldn't suggest UV, as don't want any harm, but would be interesting if there was a specific color pop at one wavelength.
Alternatively just playing around in the black and white mode on a color camera can pull fun stuff out.
I have an Olympus Pen-f now and just fine tuning the near infinite color modes makes some things pop out differently. That also highlighted my sons eczem before I could visually see it.

#12 Fandyus

    František G.

  • Members
  • 223 posts
  • Location: Czech republic, Northern Bohemia

Posted 17 May 2021 - 00:08

View Postdabateman, on 15 May 2021 - 12:34, said:

No never think that. This is your thread. Thank you for not being upset with my jokes.

Do you have other color filters and a broad band light like a halogen or incandescent bulb? I wouldn't suggest UV, as don't want any harm, but would be interesting if there was a specific color pop at one wavelength.
Alternatively just playing around in the black and white mode on a color camera can pull fun stuff out.
I have an Olympus Pen-f now and just fine tuning the near infinite color modes makes some things pop out differently. That also highlighted my sons eczem before I could visually see it.
Oh no, don't worry. Your jokes are alright. I listed the filters I have on my account, but honestly, I wouldn't expect much difference besides what we're already seeing (lighter bare skin and lighter irises). Perhaps lightness ratio between the dark parts of her coat and the light parts of her coat would change in different narrow bands but I wouldn't expect anything funky unless I took a picture of her in SWIR or such. I guess I could take a UV picture of her but that would require her to be very still and outside at the same time. She's quite the curious fella just like most rats are so I doubt she'd stay still if I put her on my shoulder and walk around in the garden with her :) I don't think I have to say I'd never shine UV on her, I actually carry all of my cages out of the room when I'm manipulating UV lights. But sunlight is alright of course.