UltravioletPhotography

Here's what enough UV light means...

Andrea B.

Around noon today here in northern Nuevo Mexico at 6900 ft (2300 m), I was able to focus -- easily -- on some tiny flowers via Live View using the BaaderU on the UV-Nikkor 105/4.5 at aperture f/16 and ISO-100 (base ISO) with no boost for the D610 LCD screen and no extra UV light on the flowers.

That's a lotta UV light, for sure !!! Live view focusing is usually not possible with the D610 + UV-Nikor + UV-pass filter unless a UV-LED is used on the subject while focusing and the aperture is set wide open to f/4.5.

Exposure: f/11 for 1/8" @ ISO-100.

This is SOOC, resized only.

The flower is a Speedwell (Veronica) ground cover.

The brighter flowers in the center are Vis white while the surrounding flowers are Vis blue. The white ones are slightly more UV-bright, so that is not a hot spot you are seeing there in the center. :lol:

speedwell_uvBaad_sun_20210511_22786laSecuela.jpg

Here's one rendition of the UV photo. The foliage is quite UV-dark. For fun, I pushed the foliage saturation way up.

speedwell_uvBaad_sun_20210511_22786laSecuelapn.jpg

Andy Perrin
Dang, Andrea, that's A LOT of UV! Keep covered up and use the sunscreen please please! The flowers are pretty!

f/11, 1/8 s and ISO 100 is scary. That's really a lot. I definitely wouldn't spend much time there without protection.

These had the same ISO and aperture, but 32 times more exposure (4 seconds). The Soligor should be comparable to the UV-Nikkor in terms of exposure, then my camera is not as sensitive, my filter is not as transparent, but still there's a huge difference.

Dang, Andrea, that's A LOT of UV! Keep covered up and use the sunscreen please please!

I was really quite surprised to be UV-focusing in Live View at f/16 with a Nikon conversion.

Speaking of "covered up" -- it was so so SO bright out there that I could not see the LCD at all unless I covered my head and the camera with a thick towel. So I was certainly covered up while shooting. :lol:

I was shooting UV hand-held with the Z6 and the UV-Nikkor at f/4.5, 1/20 sec. at ISO 1100 this morning. Under heavily overcast skies to boot. No problem whatsoever focusing. So UV finally is here, even though the spring still hasn't entered in any convincing way.

Now go up the road to Santa Fe Ski Basin and try the environs there. The base is around 10,000' (3,048m.) There will be even more UV up there.

I wish I had live view...the old A900 is an SLR, so not possible.

Bill De Jager

Andrea, I'll be at a comparable elevations under comparable clear and low-humidity skies in another [redacted] weeks, fires willing*. I haven't determined my exact gear but I think I'll bring my D610 and a good UV lens among other things. Unfortunately extreme drought over the last 24 months will mean relatively few flowers and pollinators.

*We're expecting an extremely bad summer for fires, which means there is likely to be a brownish-orange tinge to the lighting over parts of the western U.S. for much of the next 5 months or more. I doubt this will be good for UV photography. I'm hoping to slip in for some shooting between the time I reach full immunity (31 May) and the start of smoke season.

Quite upsetting, Bill, that it has come to this.

Still, there are some flowers out there. And some interesting and lovely non-floral subjects to photograph. :cool:

Auto ISO makes 1/3 EV steps.

On my Nikons I can't get an 1100 in 1/3 EV steps. Was this perhaps a 1/6 EV step??

Now go up the road to Santa Fe Ski Basin and try the environs there.

I'm looking forward to exactly that sometime soon! :grin:

No. Think about the f-number scale. f/11, f/8, f/5.6, f/4, ... Thus 1100 ISO (rounded actually 1120, however f/11 *is* f/11.2) is twice ISO 560 etc. "Twice" meaning of course 2EV.