UltravioletPhotography

EL-Nikkor 50mm/2.8 problem

Andy Perrin

I got an EL-Nikkor Nippon Kogaku 50mm/2.8 and I can't seem to get infinity focus, even if I leave off the helicoid and screw it directly to the Sony adapter. Has anyone had this problem? How do I move it closer to the sensor? Is there a shorter Sony-M42 adapter out there? Also, the front element does NOT seem to be the usual 34.5mm, instead it is 40mm! Has anyone ever seen that before?

What is going ON with this lens?

post-94-0-24688000-1613242701.jpg

post-94-0-92433300-1613242692.jpg

The EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 will indeed focus to infinity on the Sony (and most other mirrorless systems). For the E-mount you need a total adapter length that can compress to around 27mm (rough ballpark estimate). That allows for a narrow helicoid with M42 in either end, plus a flat M42-E adapter on the camera side and an internal step-down 42-39mm ring on the lens side. The lens itself has 40.5mm filter thread of memory serves.

Just checked on my NEX-5N Monochrome. No problem.

I take it some kind of shorter M42-E adapter does exist then. I measured the filter thread with calipers as 40mm but maybe I wasn’t at the widest point? I have the 42-39mm ring in there already — I knew about that from my experience with the 80mm EL-Nikkor.

Edit: found the adapter on eBay so that was easy. I was very surprised the EL-Nikkors are so different on the filter end.

Sticky gives front filter of EL-Nikkor 50/2.8/metal as 40.5 mm and the flange focal distance as 43.9 mm.

43.9 - 18.0 = 25.9 mm.

And yes the ELs are all crazy different for both front filter diameter and FFD.

[Educational point: You would look for a helicoid/adapter that works around that 25.9 mm length - like, it extends a beyond 25.9 and retracts below 25.9. You don't want to be using a helicoid at its full extension because sometimes you get light leaks at full extension of a helicoid/adapter.]

[[Off Topic: Heavens to light leaks. We UV-ers must be the only photogs who are constantly obsessing about light leaks. I've had light leaks from every possible area on a camera and/or lens. Thankfully not all on just one camera.]]

Andy,

I have been using slimish dual M42 C-mount adapters for micro four thirds as the base camera adapter. This adds 6mm roughly to the 19.25mm. Then add whatever helicoid to that for the lens to work. 10-15mm, 1212-19mm, 17-31mm (I use these the most), 25-59mm, 35-90mm helicoid are the ones easily available from Rainbow imaging, whom I would recommend. They ship out from NY.

I remember seeing once a slim M42 adapter for Sony E-mount. So the same should work for you. I like the center C-mount to add filters behind the lens.

[Educational point: You would look for a helicoid/adapter that works around that 25.9 mm length - like, it extends a beyond 25.9 and retracts below 25.9. You don't want to be using a helicoid at its full extension because sometimes you get light leaks at full extension of a helicoid/adapter.]

This I knew - my usual combo is adapter + extension tube + small helicoid. But in this case my adapter was much too long and I didn't know shorter adapters existed until Birna's comment. I thought there was only one kind of M42-Sony E adapter with some kind of standard length. But I guess not!

[[Off Topic: Heavens to light leaks. We UV-ers must be the only photogs who are constantly obsessing about light leaks. I've had light leaks from every possible area on a camera and/or lens. Thankfully not all on just one camera.]]

Quite likely. Most people don't have long exposure times in bright light conditions, right? Even the astro crowd use their cameras at night...

I use combinations starting with a thin adapter like this:

https://www.ebay.com...4/313050324112?

and then followed by a suitable step ring and thin a helicoid when making adaptations for reaching infinity with shorter FL- lenses.

That is actually the one I just bought upthread! So it's good to know I chose right.

Andy this is the Sony equivalent of what I use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Purpose-M42-C-Mount-CCTV-Cine-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-Adapter-7-6-5-A6000-A6300-/284170955289?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Thus if you have 25mm filters mounted in a 5mm C-mount adapter or in 25mm ring, than you can easily place them behind most lenses.

I also have an IR set like this in 25mm that works:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOMEI-30-5-82mm-IR-Filter-680nm-720nm-760nm-850nm-950nm-X-Ray-Infrared-Filter-/254847451444?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Andy this is the Sony equivalent of what I use:

https://www.ebay.com...4.m46890.l49292

Thus if you have 25mm filters mounted in a 5mm C-mount adapter or in 25mm ring, than you can easily place them behind most lenses.

I also have an IR set like this in 25mm that works:

https://www.ebay.com...4.m46890.l49292

I think there might be a risk of vignetting with that adapter on Andy's FF-sensor camera.

The Zomei filters I have are working well and I have used the full range of them.

I am not sure if the back flange distance of the lens fits the dimensions for this adapter, but otherwise it would be a way to go:

https://www.ebay.com...csAAOSw-rVfsk7C

If the minimum thickness is too short and there is space for a very short step ring or filter ring that would solve the potential adjustment range of focussing much beyond infinity.

Using an enlarger lens at infinity is not the ideal way optically, as such lenses often are optimised for close up work at 1:10 - 1:2 magnification at the sensor.

eye4invisible

I have the 42-39mm ring in there already — I knew about that from my experience with the 80mm EL-Nikkor.

If the lens mount thread is 39mm, then it's likely to be an L39 (Leica 39mm mount) also known as LTM. Zenit M39 lenses had the same FFD as M42, but the L39 FFD is much shorter, so an L39-NEX adaptor ought to work. I have one for my Jupiter 3 lens.

Haha, thanks you guys, you can stop now, I have already bought all the pieces so further suggestions are no longer needed.
  • 1 year later...

Not quite as good but close. Still a sharp lens and decent bandpass. I use mine. The 80mm EL-Nikkor is truly one of the best lenses I own. It’s a high bar to overcome. Only my Sony FE 24mm/1.4 GM is a sharper lens (in visible light) but that one doesn’t work in UV probably. 

Thanks would you recommend the 50mm nikkor or the  Steinheil 50mm F/2.8 EDIXA Auto Cassaron ? Advantage of this lens is it was made for DSLRs so easy to drop a filter adapter behind it, and no need to buy a m42/39 helicoid adapter. 

You mentioned it was soft in another post? but other examples photos from this lens seem good?

My copy of the Steinheil 50mm F/2.8 EDIXA Auto Cassaron is awful. I cannot recommend that lens. It is possible that other people have sharper versions. 

1 hour ago, Andy Perrin said:

My copy of the Steinheil 50mm F/2.8 EDIXA Auto Cassaron is awful. I cannot recommend that lens. It is possible that other people have sharper versions. 

Mine too, and the aperture mechanism stopped working. Not a quality mechanical design