UltravioletPhotography

Quick test: Nikkor 50mm F2 (non-AI version)

Andy Perrin

Yesterday I was tutoring a student and my phone rang. It was my landlord, so I told my student to hold on, I had to take a call. My landlord, who I’ve always been on good terms with, sounded unexpectedly hesitant, but he told me he was cleaning out his house, trying to declutter, because he didn’t want his kids to have to deal with it all at once if he died (he said he wasn’t planning on dying soon, but at 80 he better get started cleaning up). It turns out that he found a ton of old camera equipment and would I like any of it? THAT offer was snapped up quickly! So today he dropped it off and I’ve started trying out lenses. This Nikkor 50mm F2, used for the photo here, was an especially nice one.

This was on the NEX-7 (APS-C) with 1.75mm S8612 + 2mm UG11.

(After sharpening in my usual way.)

F/8 2.5" ISO100

post-94-0-95371000-1613186117.jpg

1:1 Crop, SOC:

post-94-0-62797900-1613186644.jpg

Andy, I also have that lens. It is OK as Nikon lenses go, but not that good for UV. Also, it has a not spot, I don't see it that much when white balanced in NX, but using Photo Ninja the hot spot is more apparent.

Cadmium, I don't see anything like that hotspot! I just tested it again just now. It's fine:

post-94-0-22060200-1613235027.jpg

post-94-0-27083900-1613235015.jpg

I mean, I don't think the bandpass is all that super, but it looks sharp to me and I don't seem to have the hotspot issue. Keep in mind there are MANY versions of this particular lens. Your lens may not be the same one. Here are pics of the lens I have:

post-94-0-74447200-1613235582.jpg

post-94-0-04841300-1613235594.jpg

Seems like a fun lens to have just for "normal" (ha-ha) photography. I have always enjoyed those old Nikkor manual lenses, especially the wides and have 5 (I think?) of them collected over the years.

Looks pretty good in UV.

Do you have a light leak in that Sony? (Referencing the tape on top.)

That was really nice of your landlord to think of you about the gear.

http://www.photosynt...ikon/index.html

http://www.photosynt...kon/lenses.html

Do you know about Roland's list of Nikon lenses? You can look up by type & serial number to find the production dates and other data. I've used the site to find lens hood info. Roland's last name escapes me at the moment. But we've talked in the past & he's a great guy.

Interesting about the light leak. They are quite common it seems and certainly not brand specific. I have a top leak on my D610. We UV photogs have to find those pesky leaks, but I'm sure the typical photographer does not bother as apparently they do not cause problems in visible photography.

Cadmium, you have a hotspot at the top of the photo ?? (Not obvious on the monitor I'm currently using.) I had thought hotspots were always in the center ?? Could it be just flare? Or a possible light leak? :smile: I'm just curious.