UltravioletPhotography

Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 II EF Lens?

Adrian

I see that Kolari Vsion are selling a number of UV ready camera kits. They include a "UV compatible Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 II EF Lens". Has anyone tested this lens? It is relatively cheap on eBay, when bought from China. I cannot see it on the lens database.

Thanks

I see that Kolari Vsion are selling a number of UV ready camera kits. They include a "UV compatible Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 II EF Lens". Has anyone tested this lens?

That would be really interesting to know. A UV-friendly modern-design fast-50 would be a real asset. But I'm surprised that any modern lens is going to work well.

Yongnuo-lenses are usually more or less 1:1 rip-offs, but the "II" seems to indicate some change. Probably UV-friendliness the same as Canon 50mm f/1.8, perhaps somebody has got this and can test it?

[Edit]forgot that Canon also had a II-version. Still, Yongnuo's II might be updated [/Edit]

Are there any good UV capable Canon cameras (old/new)? Can you recommend one if there are any?

Hi, Sai,

I guess you can get most Canons adapted, although some may have minor issues. I started off with a full-spectrum EOS M. In general that worked very well, but occasionlly when doing focus stacking I would get series of dotted lines - I believe this is asociated with pixels used in the autofocus mechanism. But for 99.9% of my images there was no problem.

When I wanted to upgrade, I thought about an EOS M3. But the conversion company I went to said they had stopped converting this model because of issues with the autofocus pixels (a different problem from what I saw in the EOS M). At their suggestion, I went for a Sony A6000 instead, and that has been great.

Although I am a Canon EF user, using a Sony for UV and IR is not a problem. Generally I use vintage lenses, so I just needed to get an M42-NEX adapter. And to use my Canon EF lenses on the Sony I use an EF-NEX adapter.

So my suggestion to you is to not limit your thoughts to Canon - you can adapt almost anything to anything these days. Get some recommendations from the company you will use to adapt the camera to full-spectrum.

Are there any good UV capable Canon cameras

Im using converted EOS 6D, initially because all my gear is Canon and now because I'm happy with the results. Moneywise it shouldn't make a difference unless you want to convert a camera you already own. I remember reading somewhere that the old 1DIV can take uv-photos without having to remove the internal filter, but don't know if that's true.

Hi, Sai,

I guess you can get most Canons adapted, although some may have minor issues. I started off with a full-spectrum EOS M. In general that worked very well, but occasionlly when doing focus stacking I would get series of dotted lines - I believe this is asociated with pixels used in the autofocus mechanism. But for 99.9% of my images there was no problem.

When I wanted to upgrade, I thought about an EOS M3. But the conversion company I went to said they had stopped converting this model because of issues with the autofocus pixels (a different problem from what I saw in the EOS M). At their suggestion, I went for a Sony A6000 instead, and that has been great.

Although I am a Canon EF user, using a Sony for UV and IR is not a problem. Generally I use vintage lenses, so I just needed to get an M42-NEX adapter. And to use my Canon EF lenses on the Sony I use an EF-NEX adapter.

So my suggestion to you is to not limit your thoughts to Canon - you can adapt almost anything to anything these days. Get some recommendations from the company you will use to adapt the camera to full-spectrum.

Thank you for your valuable input Bernard. Kolari Vision suggested me a converted Canon. Since your post yesterday, I've found another company that has a Sony A6000 in stock and based on your suggestion and from other members of the UVP forum, I'm going with A6000.

Im using converted EOS 6D, initially because all my gear is Canon and now because I'm happy with the results. Moneywise it shouldn't make a difference unless you want to convert a camera you already own. I remember reading somewhere that the old 1DIV can take uv-photos without having to remove the internal filter, but don't know if that's true.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Canon StephanN. The reason I considered Canon in the first place is due to the limited experience of the only local company in India that performs Canon full spectrum conversion (primarily for astro-photography). I will keep your suggestion for further conversions later in time as my current budget only allows for an A6000.

I had a reply from Kolari in response to me asking if they had a transmission chart for the lens. This is it: "Unfortunately, we don't have a spectral transmission chart for this lens but it lacks the anti-UV coating that most lenses have which makes it perfect for UV photography". This doesn't mention the glass from which it is made.

The design of the Yongnuo-lens looks rather complex with six elements in five groups.

That is ten air to glass transitions. Without any coating a lot of light would be lost.

In the picture below I think I can see some kind of coating.

post-150-0-14157700-1612348333.png

Do people at Kolari really think that the coating is the only thing that is important for reducing UV-transmission, or is that just a noob sales department answer?

I'm intrigued by this!

On the Kolarivision site they reference both the Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 II (e.g. https://kolarivision.com/product/uv-photography-ready-converted-camera-kit-canon-eos-rp/ ) and the non-II version (e.g. https://kolarivision.com/uv-photography-lens-compatibility/) as being UV-friendly.

The non-II is available for about half the price of the II. Not having anything else to spend money on at the moment I'm ordering a second-hand non-II (£40 from London Camera Exchange - saves the uncertainty and delay of bidding on ebay, where I find final prices are generally higher anyway).

I'll think about a II model as well. They're about £100, but seem to be available only from China.

JMC - if you're interested in testing the non-II model I'm happy to send it to you after I've had an initial play.

EDIT - I thought I had measured the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 before (this is the first version I think) - https://www.ultravio...dpost__p__29227

The Canon 50mm curve is in line with what I have found - it's OK at the uppr end of UVA but can't give an image at 345nm. The Prinz Galaxy is remarkably good - I suspect that is one of the lenses used by Igororiginal.

What is the Soligor KA 35mm f/3.5 - is that a camera lends or enlarger lens?

I looked around a bit comparing the Yongnuo 50mm F/1.8 and Yongnuo 50mm F/1.8 II

The Yongnuo 50mm F/1.8 has II

• Shorter close-up distance
  • Improved type of coating. Even the Kolari statement of "No coating" is BS, for both lenses.
  • 58mm filter thread instead of 52mm
  • Camera mount parts of metal instead of plastic

I likely have missed some more details to list.

From the measurements Jonathan linked to I think the Canon 50/1.8 wide open will be a tiny bit faster than the Canon 40/2.8 wide open.

The increased basic lens speed will compensate enough for the worse transmission of the 50mm lens

The Yongnuo 50mm F/1.8 has II

• Shorter close-up distance
  • Improved type of coating. Even the Kolari statement of "No coating" is BS, for both lenses.
  • 58mm filter thread instead of 52mm
  • Camera mount parts of metal instead of plastic

I likely have missed some more details to list.

The only thing I would prefer there is a metal mount. I prefer a 52mm filter mount. Poorer coating may be good for UV. For close-up - well, that's what extension tubes are for!

I guess the biggest unknown is comparison of image quality.

That looks good! But I don't know anything about Banggood. I had a bad experience with AliExpress. Has anyone got experience of Banggood?

I have.

Never any problems so far, after 26 orders.

Very fast delivery in Sweden, most of the time.

You might see some delivery problems now as you live on an island, cut away from EU.

The Canon 50mm curve is in line with what I have found - it's OK at the uppr end of UVA but can't give an image at 345nm. The Prinz Galaxy is remarkably good - I suspect that is one of the lenses used by Igororiginal.

What is the Soligor KA 35mm f/3.5 - is that a camera lends or enlarger lens?

Hi Bernard, That Soligor will be a M42 thread camera lens (35mm f3.5), serial number starting with KA. I seem to recall I have a couple of these Soligor 35mm camera lenses, but with different starting letters.