UltravioletPhotography

Ultra-Achromatic-Takumar 1:4.5/85mm lens on Pentax Forums

Pufferchung

Thats an interesting story. The lens looks to be in perfect condition.

One crazy closet find. You should be honest with them that is worth more than they realize. Also the 862 filter is a band pass filter for IR. All their filters are for infrared actually.

Dabateman:

I wish I could afford it!

That lens looks perfect, with the original box and all the filters still wrapped in plastic bag. :lol:

Someone suggested at starting price $3500...

Interesting to see another one of these come up for sale so soon after the last one which was only a few weeks ago, and it does look to be in good condition. Looking at it, 3500USD sounds about right although it could well go up from there if a couple of people are interested in it. Shame it is missing the UV filters from the looks of the pictures, which may slightly reduce its appeal to collectors.

Nice lens.

Yes I have one and its an amazing lens. I paid a lot for mine. $3500 would be cheap for it in my mind, and less than what I paid. It handles so many things well.

I can't afford one now. But interesting to see these rare gems popping up now.

Yeah actually come to think of it I wrote my reply this morning before the coffee had started to work. 3500USD is on the low side (I must have been thinking Euros instead of dollars). If they do sell it, hopefully they'll get a good price for it.
I've been thinking about why these dedicated UV lenses are so expensive. Granted, there is the rarity factor in the case of a lens like the Asahi UAT. But the new ones like the UV-Rayfact 105/4.5 and the Coastal Optics 60/4.0, why are they so darned expensive? Just because of quartz and fluorite elements?? If I were younger ( !! ), then I think I would try to start a UV lens company with more reasonably priced dedicated UV lenses.
One has to distribute expensive manufacturing costs and design over few units likely sold. Always bad for cheap products.
But I would not be interested in "making money". It would just be a nice service to offer.

Yes the high prices are completely unjustified. Chinese Fused silica (JGS1) is cheap and very clean to even see the 185nm Mercury line.

Its refractive index is 1.458, if remember correctly. Computer software is even free now to design your own lens.

With $100 manual focus Chinese lenses being more popular, a $1000 fused silica lens with coatings shouldn't be impossible. Even if a one off.

It's like SWIR cameras, especially the "traditional" InGaAs ones. The market is tiny, and so they are expensive. If they were much more popular, they would surely be much cheaper.

The hardest part I see is the coatings. I want to change the band pass filter to select specific wavelengths and not have the focus shift. My single elements are just like the UKA lemses and IR is 20 feet off from UVC

I am joking a little, but its still way off. Good to reduce IR contamination. But horrible for 3 color stacking.