UltravioletPhotography

Nikon Coolpix P7700 (old premium point and shoot) for IR Review

microbat52

I haven't seen this camera mentioned here so I thought I would do a quick review. Hope this is the right place.

Disclaimer

• First time ever playing with IR so if I say something wrong or I miss anything important please let me know!
  • The camera I am using was very loved but suffered two crashes during fun adventures and now the autofocus malfunctions and it has dust inside the lens element.

Camera

• This is a great little premium point and shoot from 2012.
  • They don't sell it anymore but you can find it second hand for around £150 ($200?)
  • The camera does everything. Great zoom range, good aperture range, shoots raw (nwr), pop up flash, external flash, filters (40.5mm), flip LCD, you name it.
  • It fits in your pocket.
  • The main cons are that the manual zoom is fiddly (its a small dial next to the display), its quite slow in recording onto the SD card, and the LCD is linearly polarised so annoying if you wear shades.
  • Its not supported by nikon because of no more spares.

Conversion

• Quite simple to access the sensor.
  • I didnt bother changing the hot mirror.
  • Cant comment on any autofocus shift since my autofocus was already broken.

post-333-0-02987500-1607275267.jpg

Test

• IR pass filter is a 40.5mm 760nm from dHD (ordered on amazon)
  • WB was set to 3850K
  • Those are dust specs from the crash, they were already there before the conversion.
  • It was not sunny today, low light and partially cloudy (and a bit foggy).
  • These are jpegs compressed to 50%, not edited.
  • I tested the whole zoom range and focus range and seemed to do fine?

post-333-0-62588000-1607275433.jpg

post-333-0-83263700-1607275468.jpg

post-333-0-44140400-1607275495.jpg

Without the filter:

post-333-0-57838100-1607275526.jpg

post-333-0-85292900-1607275557.jpg

Hope you find this useful.

Now I need to learn to properly edit photos!

You may try setting the white balance on a white neutral surface, such as paper. This way you will have more natural-looking photos without the pink cast.

You may try setting the white balance on a white neutral surface, such as paper. This way you will have more natural-looking photos without the pink cast.

Im trying to get the white balance in post and all im managing is a black and white image....

Yes, don't use as deep a cut off and you will get more colors. Nice photos, and honestly I would just leave them as black and white.
That looks like Epsom Downs racecourse to me! One of my favourite spots for testing IR photography, and just two miles from home!

Microbat, during the Dec 6/7 outage, you lost the photos from the first post.

Go into the editor and delete the existing photos from the list under the editing box.

Then re-upload your photos and place them in the text.

That looks like Epsom Downs racecourse to me! One of my favourite spots for testing IR photography, and just two miles from home!

Ah sorry I missed this ( need to figure how notifications work).

We are neighbours! What are the chances???

I still need to go to Ashtead common to try the IR camera. If only the weather cooperated....

Microbat, during the Dec 6/7 outage, you lost the photos from the first post.

Go into the editor and delete the existing photos from the list under the editing box.

Then re-upload your photos and place them in the text.

Andrea I think I missed the editing timeframe