UltravioletPhotography

Fujifilm Introduces GFX 100 IR for 100MP infrared imaging

bobfriedman

...I'm thinking if it is also UV capable. It seems a full-spectrum camera, not just IR, since they say you can place an IR-cut filter to use it to take normal visible light pictures.

It's a rehash on the earlier S3/S5/IS UV-IR, even down to the restriction of sales to specific users.

Probably shares the same mediocre UV performance as those models as UV is not what Fuji prioritises.

A lot of lenses would likely fit the camera, but getting coverage over the entire frame likely limits the available candidates. Maybe an ancient Nikkor for the first Bronicas could do service?

I'm fully aware of the 19/4 for IR, having used it for that purpose on many occasions. Not convinced it will cover the medium format frame, though.

Same marketing as the X-T1 IR, so sales will be restricted to law enforcement and government agencies.

"...is designed for forensic, scientific, and cultural preservation applications, and the product will not be made available to general photographers or customers for personal use."

Actually I have read that many Canon lens cover the sensor. Including the UV AF capable 40mm f2.8 STM lens.

The Facebook site is loaded with many. Only limited selection is fast f1.4 lenses.

The 19/4 Nikkor is an 'E' lens, meaning its aperture can only be set electronically ... not easy on a Fuji I would guess.

so the trick I use is to set the electronic aperture on Nikon camera then remove the lens before I turn the camera off... and the lens will retain the set aperture. for example, I will set it to f/8 and then use it on the GFX in live view. Here is an example, https://pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/171142590

Cambo for $5.5k has turned this into a lens for Actus that is completely manual (I would guess).

If you really need Nikon glass just use an AF adapter to the Fuji GFX mount. Like the

Steelsring Nikon F/GFX adapter.

There are AF adapters now for most cameras. Even AF adapters for fully manual lenses, but maybe not Fuji. I have only seen AF manual lenses adapters for Sony E-mount and Nikon Z-mount.

If you really need Nikon glass just use an AF adapter to the Fuji GFX mount. Like the

Steelsring Nikon F/GFX adapter.

There are AF adapters now for most cameras. Even AF adapters for fully manual lenses, but maybe not Fuji. I have only seen AF manual lenses adapters for Sony E-mount and Nikon Z-mount.

I believe the Steelsring adapter ($550) is only for G-glass, they do make an E-adapter for Canon but not for Nikon that I know.

The "set aperture electronically, move the lens over to another body" trick works, if you follow a strict procedure. And the maker allows the lens to keep the aperture when power is cut. Not my favourite approach despite its occasional usefulness.

The "set aperture electronically, move the lens over to another body" trick works, if you follow a strict procedure. And the maker allows the lens to keep the aperture when power is cut. Not my favourite approach despite its occasional usefulness.

clearly a "work-around" but it does work.

I think we mutually agree on that. The 19/4 does work well on my PrimaLuce Z5, although now the "work around" is getting the required filtration in place.

Nope full support. Not just a metal clip for a G lens aperture pin. However, it is only electronic communication. No internal motor to AF D lenses.

http://www.steelsrin...art-af-adapter/

that's new. thx. says status is "Internal testing now , market available in later August or September."

but they have it for order. well, I have looked at this site since the beginning of the summer.

although the only nikkor lens that I own with a large enough image circle for the GFX is the 19/4 PC and the work around I use is cheaper.

Were I to actually spend (US)$10000 for a medium format camera UV/IR work, I would have it converted to broadband by one of the converters (probably by Dan given it is a $10000 camera) thus avoiding both the sales restriction on *and* the wavelength restriction of the upcoming GFX-IR offering. :grin:

The designer of the Coastal Optics lens also designed a medium format UV/IR-capable lens. It is mentioned in the Lens Sticky. Prolly expensive though.

It seems that jumping from full frame to medium format approximately doubles the cost of a camera! Whew! Maybe Lens Rentals will have one to rent eventually. It would be fun to try it out.

so I have a Fujifilm GFX 50R which is a 50mpx version (44mm x 33mm sensor) for 1/3 of the price without PDAF which would be a much better conversion to monochrome which would have an excellent UV response I would imagine. Contrast AF works fine for me on that camera by the way as I am only using it for macro florals and landscape.

I'm thinking that GFX 50R would be great for mono.

I'm still enjoying the Leica Monochrom (original model) that I picked up used from Lens Rentals. It offers a different shooting experience for sure. I'm not particularly a Leica rangefinder fan, but the Mono has been interesting.