•  

Tree stump UVIVF with contaminating light removal by image subtraction

Fluorescence Processing UV Lighting
23 replies to this topic

#21 Andy Perrin

• Members+G
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 20:03

The camera processor is the same as any other computer. At best it might be faster but the end results will either be the same (if it uses RAW) or inferior (JPEG). It may depend on the app. What is absolutely certain is that there is less flexibility and it is less clear what is being done to the image unless the app is open source. Sony in particular is very vague about anything to do with software.

Edited by Andy Perrin, 25 November 2020 - 20:06.

#22 Craigk79

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:57

Wow nice work

#23 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 9,116 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 21:55

I honestly don't understand why people are so set on doing things in-camera with sh***y quality when you can do better with a custom program on the computer. Convenience isn't worth the price you pay in quality.

Agree strongly !!

Question:
Does your method work for different colors of fluorescence and different colors of subject?
....not sure how to word that.....
For example, could you retrieve the red fluorescence of chlorophyll from a "contaminated" photo?
Would it matter what color background the green plant was photographed against?
Thank you.

Off topic:
Have you considered switching to one of the newer Sonys?
The A in particular seems to be a real gem.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#24 Andy Perrin

• Members+G
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 22:00

Andrea, it should work for any color of fluorescence as long as it's bright enough. I've been trying recent experiments with this method using a laser to induce the fluorescence, but if I am too far away from the subject, the laser is too dim to make enough fluorescence and the streetlights drown out the image (even with the subtraction).

The worst-case scenario is when the fluorescence happens to be the same color as the streetlights, and then you are trying to separate out a tiny difference in brightness, which is hard.