UltravioletPhotography

Is this right?

I stumbled acros this link - https://laserj12.imascientist.org.uk/

This shows a visible/UV comparison pair of Birna's, and says "The parts of the flower that are essential for pollination ‘fluoresce’ under UV, guiding the bee in."

That's not right, is it? I thought the guiding of pollinators to the goodies in the plant relied on UV Reflectance (or, rather, the absence of it) rather than anything to do with fluorescence

No, it is not "right". It's an egregious misinterpretation. Besides, the images are stolen and thus published without my consent.
Usually nectar guides fluoresce differently than other regions in the flower, this is visible in UVIVF shots, but under sunlight this fluorescence is completely overpowered by the reflected visible light. Nectar guides anyway may not be as important as they may seem, given that not all flowers have them, and someone says that it isn’t that difficult to find the center of a flower. But from what we know, bees see the dark pattern as (lack of) reflected UV light.

I posted this to their contact page

My images posted here https://laserj12.imascientist.org.uk/ are used without consent. They are copyrighted and not in the public domain. Please remove immediately otherwise I have to invoice you for illegal use of photography.

The interpretation of the UV signature is misleading as well.

regards

Birna Rørslett (Ms.)

Besides, the images are stolen and thus published without my consent.

I guess that’s the main concern now. Well, at least they quoted you, but that doesn’t justify them if they didn’t ask you.

Maybe “credited” instead of “quoted”?

There is a huge difference between "credited" and "quoted". Not to mention, to the notion of image theft vs fair use.

Thanks anyway to Bernard for drawing my attention to this web page.

I posted this to their contact page

Please remove immediately otherwise I have to invoice you for illegal use of photography.

Birna Rørslett (Ms.)

I look forward to receiving my 10% finder's fee.

Well, this is the official response

Hi Birna,

Thank you for getting in touch. We are normally very careful about ensuring we only use photos in the public domain and usually download from Wikimedia.

These were first uploaded in 2012, so it is difficult for me to find out what went wrong.

I've now removed them.

Kind regards,

Shane

--

Shane McCracken

Director

Mangorolla CIC

Gallomanor Communications Ltd.

Case closed. I owe you a pint whenever we meet in UK, Bernard. :smile: :bee: