UltravioletPhotography

Eisenstadt in UV, VIS & IR

StephanN

Recently I spent a few days in Eisenstadt, a city not too far away (bloody Corona), and managed to snap a few comparison shots in UV (Canon 6D maxmax conversion with Soligor 21mm), VIS (Canon 5DSR with Tamron 28-300mm) and IR (Canon 6D modified for 700 mm and Canon 16-35mm). I apologize for them not all being from the same viewpoint, but I was there with some friends and had to snap some photos almost while walking :wink:

The first two (not sure, why, but I didn't actually take a VIS-photo, but you can find some here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schloss_Esterh%C3%A1zy ) are of the chateau Esterhazy, the Esterhazy being a noble family originating in Hungary, winning fame and fortune supporting the Habsburger; one of the princes being quoted as "Whatever the Emperor does, I can do better". However, they still own plenty of land and buildings in this part of Austria (not sure about Hungary, they were ousted by the communists, of course, and may not have gotten anything back). I find it interesting how that one open window on the top floor stands out in UV:

The next three are from the Haydn-church, where the remains of the composer Franz Joseph Haydn are kept. Here I don't like the IR-shot at all, because the building is all in one colour.

The last ones show the Gloriette, starting out as a Jagdschloss, now hosting a restaurant. We chose the hottest day of our trip to walk up there, but the food and drinks were worth it. This is one of the few cases where I actually prefer the UV landscape-shot, because it's the only one which brings out the building. In the other two the foliage and parasols are a distraction.

post-176-0-34058300-1595356674.jpg

post-176-0-81712700-1595356686.jpg

post-176-0-37958800-1595356702.jpg

post-176-0-64083700-1595356715.jpg

post-176-0-77037200-1595356726.jpg

post-176-0-14397600-1595356737.jpg

post-176-0-58114600-1595356745.jpg

post-176-0-64957900-1595356753.jpg

Nice images, Stephan. Did your friends wait for you while you changed filters? Actually, I think the IR shot of the church is quite nice because it makes the building stand out - a high-contrast monochorome IR shot might have worked well.

Re: "(bloody Corona)" - yes, we've just had to scrap our annual visit to Austria (my mother came from Styria) which should have started on Friday, as the UK is a high-risk Covid-19 country, making it difficult for Brits to enter Austria.

BTW - 2 years ago we stayed with my cousin's daughter in Gols, which must be very close to you.

Nice images, Stephan. Did your friends wait for you while you changed filters? Actually, I think the IR shot of the church is quite nice because it makes the building stand out - a high-contrast monochorome IR shot might have worked well.

Re: "(bloody Corona)" - yes, we've just had to scrap our annual visit to Austria (my mother came from Styria) which should have started on Friday, as the UK is a high-risk Covid-19 country, making it difficult for Brits to enter Austria.

BTW - 2 years ago we stayed with my cousin's daughter in Gols, which must be very close to you.

Thanks.

I agree that in b/w the photo does gain a bit, but the best thing I like is what you mentioned, that from this distance the buildings in the background are not visible. The setup with different cameras does help, so that I can carry two in the open - this might account for the VIS-photo missing from the chateau. I've got time to take photos in all three ranges whenever we stop for a coffee or food, like we did at the Gloriette :grin:

Gols is almost round the corner from Eisenstadt, we drove through it on our way to the Chateau at Halbturn (there I only took VIS- and IR-photos, some of which I might put up in the IR-section).

post-176-0-59400200-1595443442.jpg

So interesting to see the nice old architecture, especially the Haydn Church. Thanks for posting!