UltravioletPhotography

Nikon to M42 lens adapter search

I am looking for the thinnest, but well made, Nikon DSLR F mount to M42 adapter. Can anyone recommend one?

I do not one with any optics as this will degrade the whole benefit of this IR designed lens.

I think the lens may have enough play at infinity to allow the lens to be used. If not, then I will have to get a Sony A7R or similar modified.

They do exist. I have several purchased on eBay over time. However, whether they are "well made" is a matter of opinion I guess.

I can only recommend searching for them and decide once such items are found.

Thanks Birna. I have had a couple in the past that were aluminum and were a tight fit, to the point that they almost jammed in the camera body. If anyone has purchased one recently and can recommend a vendor that would be great.
Thanks. I think I might try and source a cheap zeiss zf donor lens, if you have any sources you might recommend.
Bill De Jager
I've been able to remove the optics from a few adapters. If they have notches for a spanner wrench it's easy. If not, you may be able to firmly grip the lens with a rag on both sides and twist the adapter to start the lens unscrewing. I've had one success and one failure with this approach.
Unfortunately the optics are there for infinity focus. I need to attain infinity focus so removing them would be counter productive.
eye4invisible

Sorry, but the flange focal distance of an M42 lens is 45.46mm, which is less than the Nikon F mount FFD of 46.5mm, so infinity focus will require lens modification of some kind. That 1mm (plus the thickness of the screw-on mount adaptor itself) makes all the difference.

It's one of the reasons why I moved from my full spectrum Nikon D3200 to a Sony A7.

Thanks Andy, I am aware of that since I have used M42 lenses on Nikon before. However, some lenses will focus past infinity. Those lenses can be used without an adapter that contains corrective optics.
eye4invisible
Good luck. There should be plenty of cheapo thin adaptors from China on ebay. Just be careful with mirror slap.
I own both, Zeiss ZF-IR and Z-M42-IR 25/2.8 lenses. Mirror slap shouldn't be an issue since the original IR lens design was for a Nikon mount. Due to demand, the factory modified the original IR Nikon version for M42 by changing the rear mount and removing the aperture lever. I am trying to source a damaged non-IR donor lens for parts but if that is not available then an adapter is the next option.
dabateman

I have two. Hard to recommend one though. The first one I bought was excellent. Even really low profile. I use it now on my Nikon 50mm f1.2 lens to mount on my Em1.

However, the second one I bought more recently, is very thick. At least 3mm thicker, which makes a huge difference.

Andy,

You can go Nikon F-mount to M42, then helicoid (10-15mm) or M42 tube if you get a thick one. Then dual c-mount/M42 mount to whatever camera with shorter mount. For M43rds, I can add a small 25mm or 1.25" filter behind any Nikon lens in the c-mount, and still get infinity focus.

My EF to M42 mount is just too thick for a helicoid. A 7mm or better 5mm, allows for Nikon lenses without aperture ring to mount with my control adapter to EF and then the same.

The other fun thing is to take a wide angle lens and use a helicoid for infinity and crazy close macro.

To fit an M42 to Nikon DSLR I need a thin adapter. .......... Out of interest, how thin is your adapter that you use for Nikon lens on Em1 and do you have the seller information? Perhaps they have a similar M42 to Nikon DSLR adapter.

Here is what I use for infinity, has a cheap built in lens to adjust for infinity, the glass is probably BK7 or such, and passes UV as well or better than the Kuribayashi 35mm, which is 320nm, so better than that.

No coatings, just the glass.

I also have a simple M42 to Nikon with no infinity lens, which I use for closer work which needs no infinity and gets me closer.

post-87-0-65241600-1588917451.jpg

dabateman

To fit an M42 to Nikon DSLR I need a thin adapter. .......... Out of interest, how thin is your adapter that you use for Nikon lens on Em1 and do you have the seller information? Perhaps they have a similar M42 to Nikon DSLR adapter.

Oh, sorry had it backwards. My M42 lens to F-mount adapter I bought from Rainbow Imaging in 2018. They ship out of NY, but most likely a Chinese distributor. It allows my M42 UAT to focus at 20 feet maximum on my Nikon DF. Not bad as most things I photograph are close.

They have this one now, but mine doesn't say fotasy on it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-Screw-Len-to-Nikon-D4-D3X-D3-D7100-D300-D7000-D5200-D7500-D850-Adapter/322492772739?hash=item4b16113183:g:23EAAOSw~zxc1nJB

Shane,

I misunderstood your original intent. Sorry. Apparently, you wish to mount an M42 lens on an F-Mount DSLR with infinity. I can't delete this comment, but I can indicate how I changed a Nikon Mount DSLR to M42.

Many years ago I purchased a number of M42->F-mount adapters and began thinning them to replace the original F-mount on a Nikon D60. After thinning the mount and drilling screw holes, I also had to grind a notch into one internal lever of the camera to permit use of the slightly deeper M-42 mount. I don't recall whether I had to grind the bayonet tabs off the adapter as well. It was a long time ago. The lenses I used were either original M42 or Exakta converted to M42.