UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Ottawa, Canada

Germain Wiseman

Germain Wiseman

Hello from Ottawa, Canada!

I do VIS, UVF, NIR, FCIR, VIL imaging as well as numerous types of computational imaging. I have not done ultraviolet reflectance photography, but am working to create a UV setup with a modified Phase One IQ3 digital back. I am experimenting with a Nikon EL 80mm lens and a Rodenstock Rodagon 150mm lens. My main interest in this type of imaging is it's application with cultural heritage objects; specifically imaging used to support conservation treatments.

If anyone has experience and guidance with UV imaging using Phase One systems, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Andy Perrin
That looks like a very cool camera indeed. (Which I have no experience with — I use a modified Sony A7S.) I do computational imaging using MATLAB, purely for fun, and I've done quite a bit of experimentation with principal/independent component analysis-type methods and blind source separation, and fourier methods for removing repeated patterns.

Nikon EL 80mm and Nikon EL 105mm of the older metal version are good lenses to start with, as they are designed for medium format film and also transmit UV relatively well.

I have no idea how well the Rodagon is transmitting UV.

Welcome to our friendly corner of the cyberspace. We all share our insights gained in the various aspects of "invisible light" photography and try to help each other all along. UV with PhaseOne digital back, now that sounds tantalising. I'm sure all our members would love to learn more of your progress there.
  • 2 months later...

Hello Germain and welcome to UVP!

I have never had yet a member using a modified Phase One digital back! Wow! They are far too expensive for our typical member. So it would be very, very interesting to all of us to see some reflected UV photos from this camera.

specifically imaging used to support conservation treatments

With a high quality digital back such as the Phase One, you are going to probably want a really good UV-dedicated lens to get the best in reflected UV conservation photos. Many conservators use a professional UV-dedicated lens such as the Tochigi Rayfact 105/4.5 or the Coastal Optics 60/4.0 because these lenses are corrected for chromatic (and other) aberrations, are quite sharp and also reach well past 350 nm. Look in our Lens Sticky for information about these lenses. Both the Rayfact and the CO 60 can be rented, although I don't know where in Canada such rentals might be available. The Nikkor EL 80 will get you started though. (Does it have a large enough lens circle or the Phase One?)

For any documentary work, I think it can be safely said that the lens' UV-capability and the choice of UV-pass filter are somewhat more important than what camera body is used. I say this just in case you might ever be looking for a less expensive camera body alternative. :grin:

The Nikkor EL 80 is designed to handle big negatives in an enlarger setup. The image circle is Ø100mm.

The Nikkor EL 105 is designed to handle even bigger negatives in an enlarger setup. The image circle is Ø130mm.

See http://www.savazzi.n...El-Nikkor_2.pdf

The excellent site is by our member Enrico Savazzi.

The Tochigi Rayfact 105/4.5 or the Coastal Optics 60/4.0 might be difficult to use to the full extent as they are designed for the Nikon F-mount with a back flange distance of 46.50 mm

The Phase One has a much longer back flange distance.

I do not think that the deep UV-reach of those lenses are of much use anyhow due to the sensor's fast decreasing sensitivity in UV.

It would be interesting to know more about how the sensor has been modified.