UltravioletPhotography

An experiment for Andrea and others

dabateman

I had this idea after my clothing 254nm test.

Idea is to look at two different light sources. First light is a U340 filtered convoy flashlight or equivalent 365nm light source. The second light source is a visible one. Preferably a white LED or an incandescent light bulb would work, just more care would be needed.

So you are comparing 2 lights.

Now go into your closet and grab a bunch of different thread count sheets and or large clothes. I know 100% cotton blocks 254nm light when I used a thin under shirt. But would it block UVA? Also test multiple different fabrics. I would like to see wool, cotton, polyester (control will let all light through), nylon, silk, anything else that you have.

Now drap it over the convoy first to see how many stops of light are cut. Then drap over the white LED to see if any light passes and how many stops of light are cut off.

Hopefully we can find a large thread count cheap sheet that could be used on and off to cut out the UV from sunlight, but not the visible wavelengths. Then Andrea could get to her question of what flowers are effected with and without solar UV.

If only one of the two Convoys I'd ordered had arrived ...

Be interesting to see if anyone can get any results doing this.

A potential alternative approach might be to use plastic films to cover windows. Polyvinyl flouride (PVF, Tedlar) looks like it starts absorbing UV sharply at 400nm. But the price for it on ebay is a bit eye-watering.

But how about a cheap plastic membrane like polythene covered in factor 50 sun-block? I guess you could put the sun-block straight onto the window glass and then pay the kids a few dollars to clean it off afterwards.