UltravioletPhotography

Official Baader Mounts

SteveE

I have acquired Baader U and UV/IR filters. Looking around the net I see a lot of sometimes conflicting advice on different methods to mount them to my lenses, ranging from re-mounting them to putty and super glue, but I have not found much mention of Baader's DSLR-2 / D-Ring adapters, so I thought I would document them here.

Baader makes a line of Hyperion eyepieces. These have 54mm threads on the eyeball end, designated SP54. They make adapter rings (D-Rings) to adapt their SP54 thread to standard camera filter threads, to use to attach cameras and other instruments to the eyepiece. D-Rings are available in 28-62mm sizes. Instead of making a bunch of adapters for their 48mm astronomy filter thread, they make one adapter, DSLR-2, to adapt the 48mm filters to the SP54 thread. You would use Baader U -> DSLR-2 -> D-Ring for your lens size.

These adapters have a couple of disadvantages:

• They are a little spendy. DSLR-2 - $29, D-Ring - $19 at Highpoint Scientific. A little more on Amazon. However, when I regard this as insurance for a $400 filter, it doesen't seem so much.
  • Some of the D-Rings are a little deeper than I anticipated. This might cause vignetting with some lenses.

The main advantage is they are quite secure and do not involve a weekend of nerve racking kludging. For me, this trumps the disadvantages.

post-243-0-32507100-1563655978.png

Left to right:

• Baader U -> DSLR-2 -> 37mm D-Ring -> Olympus 14-42mm
  • Baader UV/IR -> DSLR-2 -> 52mm D-Ring -> Panasonic 14-45mm (It's what I had handy in 52mm)
  • 2 igoriginal filters -> 46-52mm step ring -> Sigma 19mm (for reference)

Note that the Baader filter screws mostly into the DSLR-2, rather then onto it.

Edit: Corrected misquoted prices

Here is my Baader U glass, remounted in a 52mm to 48mm step-down ring, held in place by two retaining rings (behind and in front).

Since this photo, I have adjusted the depth position of the retaining rings and glass in order to provide more front thread for attaching other things on the front.

post-87-0-64025500-1563706277.jpg

I just use cheap Chinese 52mm to 48mm step down ring.

My Baader venus filter is set up with 52mm spacer (52mm uv filter with no glass), 52-48mm ring, baader filter, 48-52mm ring. I then use 48mm pinch cap at back end and 52mm pinch cap at front end. Mine is really thick, but with all the spacers I have no issues placing custom made filters in front or behind the baader.