UltravioletPhotography

New SWIR camera! NoblePeak TriWave Germanium Camera

Andy Perrin

Andy Perrin

Dabateman, that thing looks TERRIFYING considering how hot those bulbs get! What are you screwing it into, and how are you keeping yourself safe from when it inevitably fries a bug and explodes?

ETA: cadmium took the words outa my mouth haha

I adjust all my crazy lights with a standard upright flexible neck desk lamp. Easy to focus the light on my subjects and away from me and my camera. This allows me to get it close to subject. Also I typically photograph objects and flowers, not people. So they are either dead already or about to die, in the case of cut flowers.

Yes, don't touch a hot lamp, let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before removing it. But its definitely my best IR source. I also used it as my broad light source for testing filters using a 1000 lines permm film.

I do like the E26/E27 light sockets best. Recently playing with 302nm lights in long tubes is a pain. I have 15W T8 and 8W T5 bulbs now. They even output some dangerous 280nm light, so I could just get an image with my 280bp10 filter. But being long and big is much more hasel to keep safe. I like the compacts better.