UltravioletPhotography

Nikon Mirrorless Full Frame Z7 and Z6

Cadmium

Birna has ordered Z6 and Z7.

I don't expect the new "Z Noct" to be good for UV., but could well be of interest for IR work. I might modify one of these Z cameras as soon as it is feasible.

Birna_with_Z7_24_0f4_U201808222180.jpg

Hmm, who was it that said, "freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose" ?

I Googled it.

Janis Joplin.

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose

Nothin', that's all that Bobby left me, yeah

But, feelin' good was easy, Lord, when he sang the blues

Hey, feelin' good was good enough for me, mm-hmm

Good enough for me and my Bobby McGee

Ooh, mirrorless! I didn’t want to get a Nikon because I didn’t want a DSLR, so i went with the Sony A7s. Maybe in the future I will consider Nikons. I look forward to hearing how it goes, Birna.

P.S. first time I have seen a modern photo of you! Cheers.

Ooh, mirrorless! I didn’t want to get a Nikon because I didn’t want a DSLR, so i went with the Sony A7s. Maybe in the future I will consider Nikons. I look forward to hearing how it goes, Birna.

P.S. first time I have seen a modern photo of you! Cheers.

I purchased a Sony from the A7-range and quickly gave it up so sold it off after mere 3 months.

The Z Nikons are vastly different and in fact feel and handle just like any higher-end Nikon DSLR.

Most people change over time. Perhaps transgender persons more than others, but that be it.

See, and I like the light little Sonys. The Nikons felt very clumsy to me. The only beef I have with Sony is that the center of gravity is over the lens usually, so they keep wanting to tilt over.
The balance on the new Nikons is almost perfect with normal-sized lenses. The camera handles vastly better than any other mirrorless camera I have tried (I do own Panasonic and the latest Olympus, have tested the Fuji XT-2, plus had a Sony A7-series for three months before I got rid of it).

I have preordered the Nikon Z7 with hopes of eventually converting it to be my short focal flange distance camera. The FFD is 16 mm as per Birna's recent reply to my query on that.

If the Z7 works out as a conversion, then I can phase out the old Panasonic GH1 conversion (a great little cam, but showing its age!) and the Sony A7R conversion. Like Birna, I did not fall in love with the A7R although it has very good image quality. I don't know if I will keep or phase out the Pentax K5 which I like a lot.

I maybe the only one. But what really got me excited was 6 custom white balance settings. Can you please confirm that?

I think 340nm, 370nm, 390nm, 486 filter, 720nm and 830nm.

Or baader venus, ug1 +S8612, ug5+S8612, b370+S8612, 486 filter, 830nm filter.

So many great possible quick WB settings.

I think I would like a camera with 10 custom WB and option to add note for what they are.

I maybe the only one. But what really got me excited was 6 custom white balance settings. Can you please confirm that?

I think 340nm, 370nm, 390nm, 486 filter, 720nm and 830nm.

Or baader venus, ug1 +S8612, ug5+S8612, b370+S8612, 486 filter, 830nm filter.

So many great possible quick WB settings.

I think I would like a camera with 10 custom WB and option to add note for what they are.

More importantly if a converted "Z" will even white balance properly in UV at all, since none of the Nikon DSLRs reportedly can.

More importantly if a converted "Z" will even white balance properly in UV at all, since none of the Nikon DSLRs reportedly can.

THAT indeed would be my question as well.

Some of the older Nikons white balanced in camera better than the newer ones, including D800, etc.,

so I am curious if white balancing with these will be just as hard as their DSLR versions.

Not sure what camera Bjorn used for his first UG5 + S8612 shot, but it was the best white balance I had seen done in camera for such a stack.

PS: I looked that up, the camera he used was a Panasonic GH-2.

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/1042-uvvisible-filter-stack/

Although the converted Nikons may not fully white balance under a UV filter, you can push the in-camera white balance in very useable directions for UV work. So keep that in mind.

Example:

Left/Top: Daylight white balance. Don't use this - it's awful.

Right/Bottom: In-camera white balance preset.

Both versions are cropped and sharpened only. (Well, they appeared sharper in Photo Mechanic than they do here. Oh well. The point is about the white balance.)

D610-broadband + UV-Nikkor + BaaderU + Sunlight

rudbeckiaHirta_uvBaader_sun_20180729shoreCottageSwhME_13671pfDaylight.jpgrudbeckiaHirta_uvBaader_sun_20180729shoreCottageSwhME_13671pfInCamWB.jpg

Example: Photo straight out of D610-broadband. Crop and sharpen only. This could probably be used as is. It is almost a sepia tone.

mushroom_uvBaader_sun_20180822wf_13947.jpg