UltravioletPhotography

UV Light - Demos & Experiments

colinbm

Hi Andrea & all members...

It has been a long hiatus but I am going to try & remove the dust from my equipment & see what I can remember about UV photography.

Everything has been thrown into boxes hurriedly when my adult son moved it for a while, he is now visiting only occasionally, so I might start using the empty room again ?

The exercise to go boating has progressed to having a reliable boat & motor...finally !

I have been looking on the net to see if anything new in UV lighting has arrived, but that seems to haven't changed, unless someone can tell me different.....is there any more bang for our bucks in UV lighting ?

I came across this interesting YouTube video on, UV Light - Demos & Experiments, it is from 2014 but I don't recall seeing it before......at 4:55 minutes I found this interesting demo....

Cheers

Col

Thanks Dave, it is nice to see these nice faces again, It might take me a while to get up to speed though, but i'll try....;-)

Cheers

Col

For new light recommendations, it may help to let us know what you still have or what still works.

I think light options may be similar, but just cheaper. The Canon 199A flashes are still great and I got 2 for $10.

The Convoy is still a 365nm led light like the older uv flash lights, but at around $25, instead of over $100 for mte.

I have good luck with black light led bulbs first set from Home depot may center around 405nm, but one of the 3 I got seems to have 1/3 better exposure values when using the Baader venus filter. So I think it may have a couple 395 leds in it. Also when they get hot after being on after an hour, I also get better exposure values. So they may have an odd voltage regulated led that increase in energy slightly as it full warms up. I think someone here saw that when looking at the spectrum of the convoy. So I may not be imagining it.

I have ordered some 365nm led bulbs from china, still waiting at 3 weeks now. But they were $10 each. I just ordered 3 pack compact fluorescent black light 20W and a 7W 365nm led bulb from Amazon. They should arrive on Monday. I will let you know what I see exposure wise.

I have been using more continuous light bulbs and flash lights, as its easier for me than a flash to set up in my basement.

I guess it may be helpful to mention if your looking more for continuous or flash light sources.

Thanks Da Bateman

Yes I have a bunch of MTE's.....a few CFC's & other Mercury vapour lamps.

I haven't got any successful UV flashes....?

So the Convoys are working OK & are definitely 365nm, that is good.

I have just last week found an Australian retailer, Jaycar, that has a UV torch with a focusing lens that lights up bank notes very well, but I haven't got any details on the chip or UV output, but it is labelled 3w.

No just looking for the 'Holy Grail' of UV A light sources.... tons of UV A & no blue light or IR........;-)

Cheers

Col