UltravioletPhotography

DNG Monochrome for Modified Monochrome DSLR

https://www.fastrawviewer.com/Monochrome2DNG

Several years ago (2013) I corresponded with the author of DNGMonochrome that he originally wrote for Bayer type Leica cameras.

"Turn your Leica M9 or Leica M8 or Leica M or Leica T DNGs into monochrome DNGs"

Basically he modified the raw output from Leica cameras and produced a DNG that mimicked the Leica Monochrom DNG in order that ACR would treat it accordingly. Although not directly of interest to me in its original form, I saw the potential for applying it to my modified Nikon camera. After corresponding with him he tweaked his program to work with my modified Nikon but was limited to only a couple of models. This approach definitely had potential but his limited time did not permit further development.

A similar approach is now offered by Iliah Borg and promises to have more versatility.

Leave it to Iliah! Those guys know their way around a raw photo file. I love their apps. And they are so supportive.

Thanks for the link.

I have not yet "gone Mono" with any UV cam given that I'm awash in unprocessed UV false-color photographs. But the idea is naturally intriguing having seen the work posted by our Mono-UV Members. I'm pretty sure that sooner or later I will indulge.

However, I don't think I would want in internal UV filter in a Mono-Mod because I would want to use it for Visible work also. B)

My original interest back in 2013 was that it had potential for 830nm converted cameras in which the CFA is basically transparent to IR and therefore provides a somewhat similar response to a monochrome conversion with regards to the need to eliminate resolution degrading interpolation implemented by RAW processors.
However, I don't think I would want in internal UV filter in a Mono-Mod because I would want to use it for Visible work also

Bobs modified monochrome D800 is configured this way.

bobfriedman

Bobs modified monochrome D800 is configured this way.

All you need is to replace the filter with BG-38 glass. Turns out that the IR piece is not as good without the microlenses I am told, so I chose the BG-38 spectrum.

I just tried Monochrome2DNG but prefer DarkTable as a feature packed raw converter... I will say that Monochrome2DNG is very fast but i would prefer another output to a DNG file.

I would suppose that the reason Mono2Dng outputs a raw format like DNG is so that any additional processing in a subsequent app can be done on the "full-strength" file? If additional processing is not wanted, then it is easy enough to make a DNG-to-TIF conversion or DNG-to-JPG conversion?? But, yeah, there ya go --- the workflow gets longer....and longer..... :D