50mm comparison : Nikon E Vs Steinheil Auto Cassaron Vs Yongnuo

UV Lens UV Portrait
3 replies to this topic

#1 DonPilou

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 17:06

Good evening!

In addition to the quick test of the new Kolari Vision UV filter, I have bought 3 new lenses including the Steinheil 50mm F/2.8 EDIXA Auto Cassaron.

Until now I was using the Nikon E 50mm F/1.8 and sometimes the Yongnuo 50mm F/1.8, so I have decided to make a comparison of these three 50mm lenses I have for portrait photography.

For this comparison I used 3 Yongnuo yn560 IV unfiltered at full power, the same camera distance (1m) and the same EXIF : 50mm, F/5.6, 1/40s, 400iso. The focus is not perfect at each time...

After the take of the shots, each file was processed the same way.

Note : the shutter speed is not a real parameter here because the only UV light source is provided by the flashes. It only has to be lower than the synchronisation time of the flashes : 1/200s.

Here are the results of the test :

Yongnuo 50mm F/1.8
Attached Image: IMG_0168-3.jpg
Attached Image: Yongnuo_50.jpg

Nikon E 50mm F/1.8
Attached Image: IMG_0164-1.jpg
Attached Image: Nikon_50.jpg

Steinheil 50mm F/2.8 EDIXA Auto Cassaron
Attached Image: IMG_0165-2.jpg
Attached Image: Steinheil_50.jpg

As you can see, the Steinheil 50mm F/2.8 EDIXA Auto Cassaron has really great performance in ultraviolet photography : the exposure is twice better compared with the two other lenses. It is a bit less sharp but you can shut down the aperture to 1 or 2 more stops and keep having a good exposure.

The Yongnuo is not really good, its only good point is to have auto-focus. The Nikon E has really great sharpness (not on this shot but in my experience) but requires a lot of UV light.

As a conclusion, I think I am going to change the 50mm I use for the Steinheil 50mm F/2.8 EDIXA Auto Cassaron for my next project to have a really better UV transmission.

#2 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 8,971 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 17:22

An excellent demonstration of the transmission differences between the three lenses.

The Cassaron seems sharp enough to make good portraits. "-)
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#3 Bill De Jager

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 18:34

Thanks, Don. These tests are really revealing.
Studying the botany and plant geography of California and western North America for almost 50 years.

#4 Andy Perrin

• Members+G
  • 4,276 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 21:44

I have the Steinheil 50mm F/2.8 EDIXA Auto Cassaron but I wasn't as impressed. It transmits fine, but mine is super-soft.