UltravioletPhotography

Bee Vision Bouquet: You Saw It Here First! ...j/k...

Andrea B.

Here once more is my (recently often seen) Bouquet which was so vibrant in Visible light.

a_bouquet_visRef_sun_20160914wf_50701pnFinal.jpg

And here is the reflected UV Bouquet in monochrome so as not to be confused by any false colours.

b_bouquet_uvStraightEdgeU_sun_20160914wf_50832rawComp01reflectedUV.jpg

As a reference, I also extracted the reflected Red, Orange, Yellow and Green from the Bouquet.

(There is no reflected Blue, Magenta or Cyan in this scene.)

Red

a_bouquet_visRef_sun_20160914wf_50701red.jpg

Orange

a_bouquet_visRef_sun_20160914wf_50701orange.jpg

Here is the Green component of the reflected-Orange. Approximately.

a_bouquet_visRef_sun_20160914wf_50701orangeToGreen.jpg

Yellow

a_bouquet_visRef_sun_20160914wf_50701yellow.jpg

Green

a_bouquet_visRef_sun_20160914wf_50701green.jpg

Bees have receptors for UV, Blue and Green. I figure that we'll give the Bee the benefit of the doubt and assume that it can see a bit of Yellow or Yellow-Green, too. (Seem to recall that from all my reading last year.)

Any flower in this Bouquet which absorbs UV and reflects blue/cyan/green/yellow will appear to the Bee to be blue/cyan/green/yellow and thus easily emulated by - you guessed it - blue/cyan/green/yellow in my Bee Vision Bouquet. For any UV-absorbing, red-reflecting flower, I'll assume the Bee will "see" black/grey tones because no visual receptors are stimulated. For an orange-reflecting flower, I'll assume the Bee can detect the green component so orange flowers will appear greenish or yellow-green to the Bee.

But, how to model the UV-reflecting areas on the flowers which also reflect one of the RGB colours or combinations? For example, the orange Lilies in this bouquet are a combination of red-reflection, green-reflection and UV-reflection in some combination. To the Bee, these Lilies are "UVgreen" (maybe a little bit UVgreen/yellow.) UV-Green is a real colour to the Bee, but to us it is an imaginary colour. So I decided to paint any UV-reflecting areas of the Bouquet with a Motley Color Mix such as is never seen on a real flower in order to startle us into recognizing that the Bee sees UV reflecting areas very differently from the way we do.

So what do you think?

I had fun.

Bee Vision Bouquet

This will click up to a larger size in an expanded browser.

bouquet_visRef_sun_20160914wf_50701beeVision53.jpg

Here is an unresized crop from the sunflower rays and mum rays whose tips and petals are UV-reflecive and yellow-reflective.

bouquet_visRef_sun_20160914wf_50701beeVision5301.jpg

This is an unresized crop from the orange-reflective and UV-reflective lily petals.

bouquet_visRef_sun_20160914wf_50701beeVision5302.jpg

I have finally got the 12ft boat on the water & going properly, so I can now think about UV photography again, looking forwards to a long hot summer down under B)

Col, sounds good! I'd love to see some more UV photos from Aus.

Steve, I also want to try this emulation using a U-330 or UG-5 photo as a basis. Those two filters, properly IR-blocked, do present a nice bee vision not far off the mark from what I derived here.

The basic problem in such emulations is coming up with a color substitute for UVblue or UVyellow. We wouldn't see much UVgreen though (reflect both UV and green).

To repeat this exercise I need a bouquet which also includes a white, blue, purple and pink flower. The "problem" with florist's bouquets is that so many of the flowers are UV-absorbing. So I need to remember to include some Peruvian lilies which have a bit of patterning in the UV.