UltravioletPhotography

A facebook page

Cadmium

Yes, but you don't have to join the group to view it.

Sorry, not true. One has to be able to log in order to see their pages. In the case of the special RONALD filter, I am able to see the opening page briefly before it is overlaid with a request to log in or create an account. Neither is going to happen.

Sorry, not true. One has to be able to log in order to see their pages. In the case of the special RONALD filter, I am able to see the opening page briefly before it is overlaid with a request to log in or create an account. Neither is going to happen.

Everything I said is actually true. Again, as I said, "Yes, but you don't have to join the group to view it", "yes" being in agreement with you about having to be logged into facebook in order to view that page.

https://www.facebook...59194287530636/

The second link does overlap the view after a few seconds, but there is a button that says "Not Now", click that, and you may have to scroll the page down a bit, but you will be able to view the page and click on each pic.

Three options:

1) Sighn Up

2) Sing In

3) Not Now <--- (perhaps this 3rd option doesn't exist for every location on the planet, but I see it)

https://www.facebook...&type=3

It seems like maybe you don't like facebook, many don't, and I understand that sentiment, there are many reasons not to, and many don't like Google either same reasons, same stuff.

I am not here to discuss the politics of being a facebook user.

I am sorry if I have upset anyone by posting a facebook link, I only thought it might be an interesting page to some people.

It's OK to provide a link, but preferably to accessible pages. It is not possible for me to visit these pages. Nothing more and nothing less.

The "Not Now" doesn't work for you, or is not available?

Doesn't work. (had it worked, I wouldn't raised the fuss)

You never get to the "Not Now" from the first link only a Log into Facebook page.

From your second link I can see the photo after choosing Not Now, since I am not a FB user I have no idea why.

That is exactly what I said:

"The second link does overlap the view after a few seconds, but there is a button that says "Not Now", click that, and you may have to scroll the page down a bit, but you will be able to view the page and click on each pic.

Three options:

1) Sighn Up

2) Sing In

3) Not Now <--- (perhaps this 3rd option doesn't exist for every location on the planet, but I see it)"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1064732703562820&set=pcb.1009110765872316&type=3&theater

Once again, I also said:

" "Yes, but you don't have to join the group to view it", "yes" being in agreement with you about having to be logged into facebook in order to view that page."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/459194287530636/

Thanks Colin, and thank you for discovering the B-410, that was your find. :-)

Wasn't disagreeing with you Cad.

I an puzzled that he says "UV torch lights (365 nm) are used for lighting" for both the "B-410 (2mm) + S8612 (2mm)" "2 x B-410 (2mm) + S8612 (2mm)" imades in theater comments.

Yes, I was agreeing with you.

Excellent point, the 365nm has me thinking a bit.

If the stack is UV+Blue+Green, but the illumination is narrow band 365nm UV (band width may vary), then there should be very little visual blue+green light.

This sets up more of a UVIVF scenario almost, where very little of the visual light is reflected, but would perhaps be more fluorescence.

I think I will need to dial back my excitement a bit for the moment and wait to see a sunshine shot.

Thanks Andy, Yes, Ronald runs that page, I see some interesting things there that I don't see anywhere else.

Not just the usual IR or UV page/forum, but wide open, mutispectral experiments, UVIVF, IR Luminescence, and more...

Interesting people and photos. Worth checking out at least.

enricosavazzi

I second that (no Facebook).

Me too. That is not a page I am going to visit any time soon.

Anything that requires a membership and login to see - and allows tracking by the the site owner - is not really free information.

Merciful heavens!! All this Facebook vitriol!! :lol:

Let me put it this way -- if you are on the Internet in any way, you are already being tracked by something somewhere.

The internet is a public space and your internet journey is on public computers -- unless you have gone to the trouble of paying for and setting up some kind of virtual private network. Even then, you have only the VPN's word for it that it is really private. I have my doubts about that too.

As for the "free" information - I agree. Facebook is not the place to post results of scientific experiments.

As for the linked FB experiments, while they are very interesting, they are not well-described. All gear and exposure data must be described at the very minimum so that the experiment can be reproduced by others. If not, then the results shown are considered questionable. This is the first rule of science. And a rule very often violated by certain UV/IR photographers.

HOWEVER, if a photographer simply wants to post a UV/IR photo as a photo, then that's fine. Just do not expect everyone to respect the results as anything other than an interesting photo.

Yeah we are being one tough ole crowd this weekend, aren't we !!? :lol:

Please do not take it as a personal thing, Cadmium. Facebook just seems to bring out very strong opinions!

I have an FB account simply because a lot of the younger members of my family are on there, and I like to occasionally see what they are all up to. I don't really post anything there though. Too busy here I suppose. Or with the house or social and community activities.

I do very much like what is shown by the photographers on the FB link. I simply wish there was adequate documentation. That is something I always encourage strongly. If you know any of these folks, let them know that we would enjoy seeing their posts here also.

Many of the things we don't like about facebook are true of Google and a whole list of others.

Do we use Google? Does it track us?

This topic is not about all that. If you don't like facebook and feel uncomfortable using it, then move on, don't make this topic a topic about facebook security.

Science. I am sure if you have a question about any pic on that page the people would be happy to explain, just like we do here.

Not everything here is science, people experiment with things, and are excited about them, and they don't always post all the details.

Please appreciate this topic and post for what it is. I feel this is an awfully strange reaction.

Yes, Google tracks. But Duck Duck Go does not. So we decided to use that. But I miss Google.

Cadmium, you are right. Not everything is science here either. Nor would any of us want it to be.

I suppose I feel a responsibility to the UV field to keep things explained and open to everyone because there has been a lot of un-necessary "secrecy" in the past about UV/IR photogaphy. Made no sense at all to me. I vowed never to be like that. Anything I do is freely available and explained as best I can. (And therefore probably very boring to read!!!!!)

Well, let us all move on now.

From the FB post I've gotten the urge to try out some of the UV+G+B work again! I have very much enjoyed that.

FWIW, I use the UV+G+B filters with both thin IR blocks and with thick IR blocks - depending on the underlying visible colour of the flower. Granted that bees cannot "see" red by way of their pigmented visual receptors. But they can determine that a red flower is red (reference in these pages somewhere). So when I photograph a visible red flower which reflects UV, I decided that the modeling demanded that some red show up in the photo along with the B and G. If the red flower is UV-absorbing, then no red should be in the photo. Makes sense to me. Could be all wrong though. :D

And, it's only a model. So should not be confused with reality. :rolleyes:

Science is nothing without curiosity which may have killed Schrodinger's poor cat. So don't kill the cat...but stay curious.

Sometimes it is about beauty and inspiration, and recombining things in ways unseen.